FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV show Leverage: using CMOS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
TV show Leverage: using CMOS
on Dec 20, 2010 at 5:54:24 pm

Last night's episode of LEVERAGE had a swish pan shot where the rolling shutter of the CMOS sensor camera was VERY visible. Anyone have an idea what camera they use?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
Re: TV show Leverage: using CMOS
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:18:40 pm

They shoot Leverage on the RED.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:25:49 pm

And, wish a rolling shutter was the only issue on that show... Better casting and writing can make up for a multitude of rolling shutter issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:44:07 pm

[David Roth Weiss] " Better casting and writing can make up for a multitude of rolling shutter issues."

Funny, the main reason I watch it is for the bad writing. It's become high camp, it's so bad, it's good!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:48:15 pm

Nice to see you are back Arnie.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:28:24 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "the main reason I watch it is for the bad writing"

I never liked the writing from day one on that show. And, though I've almost always liked Timothy Hutton through the years, I think he's really miscast in Leverage. If you should ever get a chance to see him in the indie film City Of Industry, before he gets unceremoniously whacked by Stephen Dorff, he was at his absolute best, playing against type as a sleazy criminal mastermind. In Leverage he's supposed to have a past, but there's never any hint of darkness, making him seem phony at every turn. Burn Notice has much the same concept, but Jeffrey Donovan does it right, with a real dark side that makes him pretty darned believable.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:39:30 pm

Sorry, I'm a HUGE fan of that show, and love how campy it is. We need more of this on TV. TV is getting TOO serious lately. I like the fun campy shows. Psych...Leverage...even the old SHE SPIES show from a few years back. There are PLENTY other serious shows out there. I like me some CAMP.

And yes, they shot RED. One of my assistants was an assistant on that show.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:26:33 pm

yep, shot on RED.

We do the ADR for Leverage (it's shot here in Portland)

"The Studio Job" episode was shot at our facility, Directed by Jonathan Frakes using our own Studio 1 surround suite as "Kirkwood Records" recording studio. That was a fun week around here.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:27:13 pm

But Shane, Burn Notice is also a campy comedy, just much deeper and elegant, because it's characters are more complex. At any rate, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and there's room on the air for both shows.

At least we can agree on First 48... I'm still a big fan of that show. And, Breaking Bad is coming back in January. That's about as good as it gets in my opinion. Yet another show with dark, dark comedy and complex characters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:28:36 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Breaking Bad is coming back in January"

it is?? I thought they were skipping this year like they did with the last season.

Can't wait!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:47:48 pm

[Chris Borjis] "I thought they were skipping this year like they did with the last season."

Last I heard was January... But you never know, they may have changed their minds and decided to give some other actors chances at the best actor category. Brian Cranston has won for the last three years in a row, so the only way anyone else can compete may be to pull him aside.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:49:48 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Last I heard was January..."

Looks like July 2011

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:31:00 pm

I can't stand two of the actors on Burn Notice. Zero emotion from either of them. Only Bruce Campbell shows any sign of life. I'd watch it more if it was centered around him...but it is led by cardboard cutouts.

The characters on LEVERAGE...well, the actors, are much more lively.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:24:43 am

Final cut must be in pretty good shape in it's current form (despite the fashionable bashing lately) when you guys start to discuss actors and shows :-))

NO! criticism - just an observation I make which puts things nicely into perspective.

Happy Holidays to ya all.
Cheers
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]