FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need SUPPORT on upgrading to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Gonzalez
Need SUPPORT on upgrading to FCP 7
on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:10:14 am

Hello, all fellow FCP users! Have a issue updating to FCP 7 ... I desperately need update for a job due before x-mas... Thanks in advance for you support!

I'm updating my MBP (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) to FCP 7 - I have 24.93 Gb free out of 119.69 Gb total on my MBP drive, since I already have FCP 6.0.6 version installed I don't have much space available. Updating to FCP 7 needs 43.25 of space...Now, i would only figure that the older FCP version would be automatically erased while its being updated to FCP 7.. But it seems it doesn't work like that ... It looks like i would need enough space to handle 2 FCP version on the mac drive?? That seems crazy to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried everything... I even downloaded omnidisksweeper to try to clear my drive but honestly there isn't any big crazy files considering my drive on my MBP is only 120Gb. Is there any way, I could use an external drive to help with the extra Gb's needed to upgrade to FCP 7 ?

A.G.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need SUPPORT on upgrading to FCP 7
on Dec 20, 2010 at 1:48:32 pm

I'd not perform any upgrade of FCP and/or an OS upgrade without performing a clean install... Backup what you want to keep on another drive, erase and install the OS, and then install studio over that. You'll completely erase your startup disk doing this, so remember to clone it, or backup your data first.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:21:04 pm

In addition to what Jerry said, you don't have to install all the sound library files, the dvd template files (usually people only need PAL or NTSC, but it defaults to install both..), motion library files. If you customize the install, you'll find you don't need anywhere near 45GB of disc space.
Generally speaking, if you do an "upgrade" install on your current system, you're asking for a world of hurt, especially since you have a deadline, hah. Finagle's law- what can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible moment.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 21, 2010 at 11:56:56 pm

So you have a big job due in a week and you think it's a good idea to start updating FCP?
What are you thinking!

And then by what you said in your post, it appears you have started this process (improperly) and it isn't working.
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Do some reading on how to update your system before you start screwing with it. How to do this properly has been covered extensively on this forum, as have the pitfalls of those that don't listen to this advise.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]