FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Pluraleyes workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Basslines
FCP Pluraleyes workflow
on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:46:56 am

In my experience Pluraleyes moved the video and camera audio to match the audio from my recorder H4n. Does anyone know if there is a way to move the H4n audio to match the camera audio eg select master and slave. I have a sequence that is already edited and I want to add the better audio without effecting the sequence edit.

If you use plural eyes to sync recorder audio before you edit this is good but it means you have to mix(levels and compress) the entire amount of audio in protools before syncing. Is there a way where you only have to mix that you are using and sync those bits.

What is the workflow professionals use

I hope this makes sense.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP Pluraleyes workflow
on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:58:01 am

[Louis Basslines] "What is the workflow professionals use"

Sync before edit is the usual workflow. No need to EQ and compress audio until you lock your edit and start sound post from the OMF.

This workflow applies whether you use Pluraleyes or clapper boards or jam synced timecodes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:33:54 am

What he said.

What's going on? Are people not learning the proper way to do things before they start editing? You are the 6th person in the month of December that has edited their project, then wanted to sync audio later.

You do it first, then edit. That's how professionals do it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:28:54 am

Shane,
"What's going on? Are people not learning the proper way to do things before they start editing?"

No.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:34:29 am

Wow, you guys are not easy but fair enough, as always thanks for your comments.

I actually have always worked specifically with audio either in radio or recording studio so I have very limited experience with pictures and FCP. (the last time I mixed to pictures was with a 5850 Umatic) using a lynx box.

But thanks to you guys I think I understand the basic workflow now.

Import the audio, sync it, lock off edit export OMF and mix in tools.

I think I have embarrassed myself enough will post questions about clock and sync later.

Thank you kindly

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:52:04 am

Louis,

No need to be embarrassed here. You get a free pass since "video" is not your primary language!

As for the other knuckleheads Shane's ranting about... no sympathy!

To them I say: If you're contemplating a new workflow (Like pluraeyes dual system audio) the professional approach is to research, plan, and do a test BEFORE you accept and start a project. Getting deep into it and THEN coming here for help isn't a good career move.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:27:48 am

Sorry. Gets frustrating after a while when time and time again this basic workflow is overlooked. But, thing not being your forte...this can be forgiven, a little. And if there was an easy solution, I would post it. But there isn't...just guesses. PluralEyes typically is used to sync up audio beforehand. Trying to use it for AFTER? Shots in the dark.

After the fact...what will work is to NOW sync up all the footage...MERGE CLIPS command for that...And then note the timecode of the original clips in the timeline, and replace them with the new clips. SHot by shot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:00:15 am

[Louis Basslines] "Import the audio, sync it, lock off edit export OMF and mix in tools.

I think I have embarrassed myself enough will post questions about clock and sync later."

Ask away. Clock and sync are my favourite. Also just to clarify, when you say mix in tools, you really mean a pro audio DAW like Fairlight.

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:06:58 pm

I am travelling and I am just working on a macbook pro. I do not have a universal sync box or any house clock. I will export an OMF from finished edit into DAW (protools) and mix audio. Now I have a finished audio mix do I export the audio back into my sequence?

Will I have a problem with sync as I am running 2 seperate application FCP and Prootools both on internal clock, as opposed to having external video card and sound card locked to the same external clock ?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:50:39 pm

You don't need house sync or a workclock generator. Both FCP and ProTools on internal will maintain sample to sample accuracy. Make sure the timelines are both the identical frame rate and timecode type (Drop/ non drop etc)

The final mix will be a wav or aif file. Bring that into FCP and drop it onto the sequence timeline. Read this first -

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

The most common issue with sync is the way FCP imports audio assets.

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:25:44 pm

Great, thanks for link

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:00:16 am

Got it, this sequence was pretty much a test it is only 5 mins long and phase syncing should be acheivable.

As I said before your comments are very much appreciated. And once again I have learned valuable knowledge from this forum.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:19:43 pm

Singular Software has just opened up a public beta for the OS X version of DualEyes -- a dual-system video/audio sync utility.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/dualeyes.html

Like the other posters have said, you generally want to sync the audio as the first step in your workflow.
However, you might be able to use DualEyes to sync the audio from your originals and create new files, then reconnect to those clips in FCP.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]