FORUMS: list search recent posts

.TIFF sequence export problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Anderson
.TIFF sequence export problem
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:39:57 pm

Hi,

So I was wondering if someone can help me diagnose the problem I am experiencing while trying to export a .TIFF sequence out to a post house for color grading.

The project is a feature with a run time of 89 mins.. It is a DVCPRO HD 1080p, 23.98 fps project. I am trying to export as .TIFF, millions of colors+, NO compression. I am exporting the entire sequence to an external 2-TB G-Tech RAID drive.

Essentially the problem is this, upon export, everything moves along quite nicely until about minute 25 of the film when things noticeably slow down. They do keep moving though (including FCP export progress bar) until precisely frame 65,653 (about 50 percent into the project). At this point, despite visual info being sent to G-Tech, it seems FCP has stopped writing frames entirely. The FCP export progress bar in FCP also resets to 0% and apparently keeps going. If left alone, this export bar will slowly tick up to 4 or 5 % over 10-12 hours, but the estimated time left will now read '3 weeks'.

I am running FCP 7.0.3 on a 8 GB RAM MacBook Pro. I have previously tested just exporting this trouble area and everything exports just fine - the problem only occurs when trying to export the whole sequence (which I need to do). And there is plenty of space on the drive for the whole sequence so I don't know what the make of it.

Any ideas/solutions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: .TIFF sequence export problem
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:04:03 pm

Possible a corrupt file?
Or render?
Try deleting renders and re-render.
Try reloading the shot located @ frame 65,653.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:42:18 pm

Hey Chris -

Maybe a corrupt file but not the renders - the sequence itself is a fully contained, rendered cut of the film - one clip.

Still stuck....

Tim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:19:17 pm

[Timothy Anderson] "The project is a feature with a run time of 89 mins.. It is a DVCPRO HD 1080p, 23.98 fps project. I am trying to export as .TIFF, millions of colors+, NO compression. I am exporting the entire sequence to an external 2-TB G-Tech RAID drive."
So you are trying to export a DVCPro Movie as an Still Sequence, right?
- Don't set "Millions+". You are not exporting any Alpha Channel.
- Chop the movie and export in batches.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:36:38 pm

Be prepared to wait a long time.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:40:36 pm

Hi Rafael -

Yes, I am trying to export a .TIFF sequence of a fully rendered DVCPRO HD 1080p 23.98fps - I can't do it in batch because the post house has specified all of the .TIFFs need to be in one folder, in consecutive, uniform file order - batches doesn't allow for that due to the restart of the frame numbering system for each batch.

Tim

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:41:39 pm

My maths might be completely wrong but you do realise that your trying to create a folder containing 128160 image files on a laptop. And you're wondering why your computer is struggling?

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:48:10 pm

Yeah I know - my 8GB ram MacBook is actually zipping right along even when the FCP is 'stuck' - I am writing everything over FW 800 to a RAID - performance shouldn't be an issue and also wouldn't explain the export progress bar restart to 0. Slow progress would be totally acceptable - it's just that progress halts/corrupts at that frame.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:56:13 pm

Timothy

Give the post house a self contained movie of your project and have them do the conversion.

MBPro is not up to par for this type of job.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:17:35 pm

[Timothy Anderson] "They do keep moving though (including FCP export progress bar) until precisely frame 65,653"

This is very close to a binary "magic number" of 65,536 (2^16). My guess is either the file system on the drive can't handle that many files in one folder, or FCP can't address that many frames by frame number. Break the film into several reels and export each reel separately into its own folder.

I've just answered what's probably a related question of yours about DPX files in the AE forum -- and I still think the best advice is to simply send your master-quality DVCPRO HD Quicktime file to the post house. They will surely be able to handle this for you.

Personally, when I'm finishing a project for someone, I always request files in the native format of their application. If I need to transcode that to another format for the benefit of my workflow, I prefer to do it myself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:46:08 pm

Thanks so much everybody - I am juts going to give them the DVCPRO HD QT and they can make any sequence they may need to do so!

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]