FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing 1280 x 720p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Simms
Importing 1280 x 720p
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:17:39 pm

Hello,

I am working in FCP 5 and am importing footage from a Sony Cybershot DSC W350 for a reality type show. The files are MP4 in 1280 by 720p. What are the correct sequence settings for this footage as I have tried many combinations but the footage always comes up with a red render bar when I import it. I'm working on a G4 with limited power so it takes 10 minutes to render each minute of footage.

Thanks,

Eros Salvatore (another victim of creative cow's "real name" policy")

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Importing 1280 x 720p
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:26:27 pm

There aren't any. You need to convert this media to a codec and format supported by the application. You probably should convert to QuickTime using the Apple Intermediate Codec and use a sequence preset that matches that.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Steve Rogalinski
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:41:53 pm

Can't you just create a new sequence by inserting a clip from the bin and allowing FCP to create the settings?

Steve Rogalinski

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:18:02 am

Not in FCP5 and not if your media is MPEG-4.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Sean Simms
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:45:48 pm

thanks tom

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Sean Simms
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:56:48 pm

Tom....when I set the sequence preset in FCP 5 shouldn't it automatically change all my new sequences to that setting? bc they're staying at the old ntsc setting.....and when you say convert to an apple intermediate codec, do you mean convert the files by importing them to the timeline with the new sequence preset, correct?

Return to posts index

Maeve Hickey
on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:17:47 am

Hi Tom,

I'm working on FCP 6 and am experiencing the same thing? Is the advice the same? And if so, could you explain in a little more detail please? i.e. Is the Apple Intermediate Codec something that is outside of FCP or is this conversion process part of its capabilities.

I just landed my first video-editing internship after 10 months of unemployment. I've done a good few training courses but I'm only just learning to tap in to how FCP "thinks" at the moment...

Your help is much appreciated,

Maeve

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:50:31 pm

Welcome to the Cow Maeve! You've already done good as an intern to come here for help, as this is truly where you can find the best technical assistance for FCP anywhere. However, tacking on to a thread that six months old is not a good idea, as it surely limit viewing of your question to only a tiny fraction of those on the forum, thus limiting responses as well.

[Maeve Hickey] "Is the Apple Intermediate Codec something that is outside of FCP or is this conversion process part of its capabilities."

Apple Intermediate Codec is one of those built-in to all Quicktime Pro enabled apps such as FCP, Compressor, QT player, etc. However, it's an inferior "legacy codec" that has been supplanted by the four flavors of the Apple ProRes Codec, which are newer and vastly superior codecs.

Hope this helps, and do come back whenever you encounter any perplexing concepts that we can help to clarifiy.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:28:42 pm

[Sean Simms] "Eros Salvatore (another victim of creative cow's "real name" policy")"

Oh, boo-hoo. The Powers That Be here have reasons for this. If you don't like it, don't visit.
I oftentimes find that the anonymity you seek is an encumbrance.

[Sean Simms] " am working in FCP 5 and am importing footage from a Sony Cybershot DSC W350 for a reality type show. The files are MP4 in 1280 by 720p."

That particular version of FCP was invented long before mp4 even existed. If you want to shoot with a hot new camera, you need an editing application that can keep up with it.

So when you get FCP 7, you'll want to watch this:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Simms
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:46:08 pm

I[Sean Simms] "Eros Salvatore (another victim of creative cow's "real name" policy")"

Oh, boo-hoo. The Powers That Be here have reasons for this. If you don't like it, don't visit.
I oftentimes find that the anonymity you seek is an encumbrance.

I'm not seeking anonymity....it's meant to be funny.....

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:19:48 am

[Sean Simms] "I'm not seeking anonymity....it's meant to be funny....."

Well, that doesn't change the fact that you're trying to pull off the impossible.

You really do need to upgrade if you want to keep using that camera. The version of FCP you're running just won't do what you want it to do.

It's a sad fact of computer life: you upgrade one thing, you have to upgrade another. You've reached that point.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]