FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest way to export lowest quality video for Dailies??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Seitz
Fastest way to export lowest quality video for Dailies??
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:36:23 pm

Hey guys - I'm currently spitting out Dailies of high quality 1920x1080 footage (usually 10 minutes to an hour in length) with a burned in timecode layer.

I need to get these out to producers as fast as possible and don't care about quality! What is the FASTEST method?

(I've been doing the lowest quality MPEG at the lowers screen size (like 300x200 or something) - but it sometimes takes up to 20 hours (probably due to the burned in timecode)...

Return to posts index

Jenna Bliss
Re: Fastest way to export lowest quality video for Dailies??
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:43:17 pm

have you tried doing a quicktime conversion using the lowest streaming quality, single pass? H.264 is probably faster than mpeg.

Jenna D Bliss

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:49:15 pm

No - not yet, but I'll give it a try!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:54:29 pm

[Evan Seitz] "it sometimes takes up to 20 hours (probably due to the burned in timecode)..."

No, it take 20 hours because you're not rendering first, and because you're not then exporting a self contained QT to use for the encode to a compressed codec.

Also, h.264 offers the best quality, but it is the slowest of all the compression codecs, so I hate to disagree with Jenna, but stick with your earlier choice of mpeg.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jenna Bliss
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:08:59 pm

Actually H.264 and MPEG have identical technical content.

Jenna D Bliss

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:12:06 pm

Look at ProxieMill from http://www.imagineproducts.com. It does this in the background, while you are capturing, ingesting...or OFFLOADING the tapeless media. The producers can walk away with dailies on the day of the shoot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:11:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. I should render the entire timeline

2. File -> Export using compressor

3. Select Self Contained

4. Select Mpeg (Lowest settings)

Or do I export out a self contained .mov and then compress into a Mpeg using compressor, etc???

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:16:59 pm

1) render the entire timeline
2) export using Export>>Quicktime Movie (current settings)
3 the use that exported file in Compressor or, for even faster encodes, use Streamclip.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Martin Robertson
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:07:15 pm

Hi Jenna
So, have you ditched FCP yet? On matters less technical,
I am on holiday using our iPad, which accidentally deleted your enquiry about the room in Darling Row, London. If you are still interested contact me at mcjrobertson@gmail.com
Martin Robertson

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:06:55 pm

How well do you know Compressor? Do you have a cluster or multicore computer?

If so then the fastest way would be to bring your footage directly into Compressor and export a 320x240 Mpeg1 (fast to encode, compatible with Windows and Mac systems).

Compressor has it's own Timecode Reader which on it's own is crap because it can only be one colour - so it can sometimes blend into the footage. But if used with a cleverly placed Watermark overlay (created in Photoshop) then you can create a black box to go around your timecode.

It might take 10 minutes to set all this up but once you have done you can reuse the preset over and over.

This way you don't have to render anything - and all the processing is done within Compressor which is multi-processoe aware (if set up properly).

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:06:58 pm

Good tips Gary, but if the OP is using a timecode reader filter, for per-shot timecode, then the Compressor timecode generator won't do the job.

You can also turn on the frame controls in compressor and set the resize quality to "Fastest" for an additional speed boost.

In the past I've worked on shows that use a playback deck connected to a DVD video recorder. Not sure if that is an option here, but those things go for pretty cheap these days...

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Ben Hendriks
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:23:02 am

Or if your daillies are for viewing only, playout your timeline to a DVD recorer in realtime.

Regards Ben

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:55:22 am

Perhaps i'm missing something, but:

Rendering a HD clip with HD burnt in TC makes no sense to me.
(the render has to be done in HD and that will be way slower compared to rendering in the output resolution.)

Since QT can hold TC, i would not even render the TC into the clip, but have the producers use a special player that shows the QT tc.
(QT player can do so, so can my logger application, and that one can load the next / previous clip with just one keystroke:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/24/rs422-file-logger

If i had to render stuff like this, i would use a PC with FFmpeg / Avisynth to do so. (Would be way faster than RT).
FFmpeg runs on Mac as well, but Avisynth will not..

A few other options:
Paste a pre-rendered TC file into a QT clip. (Needs some scripting)
Or, create a custom Subrip subtitle file containing TC (not per frame, per second will be enough.)
Using this file and VLC, you can burn in your TC (VLC will think it are subs...), or just let it be next to the file and VLC will display it on the fly.

Hmm. I'm making this up while i write, but this sounds actually good...
I'll have a try making an app that generates the Subrip.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]