FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Mac Pro for FCP 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitchell Reichler
Best Mac Pro for FCP 7.0.3
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:52:31 pm

IWhat is the fastest MacPro for FCP 7.0.3 ? I was considering upgrading to a 3.33 ghz, 6 core Mac Pro, w/ATI 5870 HD video card.

Any comments

Mitchell Reichler
digitaldaugie@nyc.rr.com
212-627-9508 h
917-601-7455 c
http//www.digitaldaugie.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best Mac Pro for FCP 7.0.3
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:31:08 pm

The "best" is going to be an eight or twelve core machine, though one could argue that the extra cores only come into play in multithreaded apps like Compressor at this point. A six core MacPro will work just fine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:08:05 pm

Current Final Cut Pro 7 doesn't care much.
It's not a 64 bit application. They will have to rewrite it.
Get an 6 or 8 core, and invest in enough ram and good storage. G-speed Q with SATA card for example. And a good archive/backup system.
That's more important than a 12 -core.

Apps like Compressor 3, After Effects CS5, Cinema 4D can really use all Cores and Memory available.

Return to posts index

Seth Burke
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:18:08 am

I'm curious about this because I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro as well, along with a new set of drives. I will be editing HD along with lots of graphics and tons of footage. So, I was looking at that G-SpeedQ, but I'm not too savvy on eSata and how it works, especially with FCP and After Effects. I just know that it's faster than FW800.

But, I have been to the Mac store before and none of their Macs come with built in eSata or even an option. So, I guess it's something I'll have to install on my own. Are there things to consider when purchasing a Mac Pro if I know for sure I will be using an eSata Drive like the G Speed Q? (ie Audio Hardware like the MOTU Ultralite mk3, or multiple video cards)

Any advice would help, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]