FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDcam EX MXF´s to Final Cut using Automatic Duck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Caspersen
XDcam EX MXF´s to Final Cut using Automatic Duck
on Dec 16, 2010 at 2:16:22 pm

Hi guys, just want to have some opinions on my onlining workflow for a tv series i´m about to wrap up.

So, we´re editing in Avid Media Composer 5.03, where we have material from XDcam ex, Canon 7D and Gopro. We´ve agreed to transcode all the material to Xdcam Ex 35mbit MXF for editing

Now, we are going to Color and Final Cut for mastering. I plan to use automatic duck for recreating the timeline in ProRes 422 HQ and then taking it to Color. My final
Hence I´m

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XDcam EX MXF´s to Final Cut using Automatic Duck
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:50:16 pm

[Christian Caspersen] "Now, we are going to Color and Final Cut for mastering. I plan to use automatic duck for recreating the timeline in ProRes 422 HQ and then taking it to Color. My final
Hence I´m"

Under attack by ninjas and unable to finish typing? Running away from a tsunami and closed the laptop? losing your train of thought so you just clicked POST DIRECT?

[Christian Caspersen] "So, we´re editing in Avid Media Composer 5.03, where we have material from XDcam ex, Canon 7D and Gopro. We´ve agreed to transcode all the material to Xdcam Ex 35mbit MXF for editing"

Why? Why not just go DNxHD, then use Automatic Duck to to to FCP...then media Manage to ProRes...then send to Color? The only MXF format that FCP can see from Avid wrapped as QT are DVCPRO HD MXF files. I believe...don't quote me. I haven't tried XDCAM MXF to FCP (XDCAM does MXF?).

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Caspersen
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:55:03 pm

Haha, we really have some Ninja problems at our office, I told the janitor to take care of it. But no, I had some problems with logging in, and some of my text disappared. The rest of it was supposed to be:
"I deliver the master file in ProRes 422 HQ.

Transcoding the material two times is one too many for my taste, but I did some thorough testing using regular export, and I don´t see any quality loss on my broadcaster monitor.

Any comments? Better suggestions?"

Yup, Avid makes XDCAM EX MXF´s. We transcoded the gopro and the canon material and consilidated the XDCAM stuff, it´s been fine for editing. I talked to one of the techicians at the broadcasting channel and he told me it shouldnt make any difference. So then we just went for XDCAM MXF´s to save space.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:10:52 pm

This bears testing. Do you have Automatic Duck Pro Import? If so, make a quick sequence and then export the AAF and use the Duck to bring it to FCP, then send to Color and see what happens.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Caspersen
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:45:37 pm

That was the thing, I was looking for someone who tried it themselves before buying Duck, but heck, we need it anyways. I´ll try it out tomorrow and post my results.

Return to posts index

Christian Caspersen
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:27:25 pm

No luck unfortunately. If i send the files with "use existing media" the files come up as unreadable with a Duck Screen on the material

Tried sending the files without using the existing media and then
installing Calibrated MXF Codec to read the Avid files natively, but the Duck takes the name of the files from AVID project. Those files are named like: 16_2131_01.new01, but the files that exists in finder are named something like 16_2131_01NDF38SFNA, ergo final cut cant find them.

Sending the project using "use existing media" and with the option "Use original imported graphic files" checked, actually relinks GoPro and Canon to the original .mov files automaticly, but I have to reconnect the .mp4 files manually one and one, because there are so many Reel and name errors when reconnecting. And we have about 500 clips in every episode...

Now i´m a bit lost, and considering just to do the mastering and color correcting in Media Composer, unless there are somebody here with a better solution...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]