FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export advice needed!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Madison
Export advice needed!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:43:51 am

Hello!

I have trolled this forum for some time using the great tips and advice on the site, but this is my first post!

I have a 30 min project that i need to export. The media involved is files from my 5DMarkII (.MOV files) and also some long .MP4 files from my Sanyo VPC. I didn't bother converting the MP4's to H.264 because I thought the conversion would take tooo long. But now I am trying to export the vid and it is wanting to take 20+ hours!!!

Do I have to convert those MP4 files to the same format as My 5DMii files in order to get a reasonable export time?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but sorta new in the world of post production.

Thanks!
Brad

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export advice needed!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:33:53 pm

[Brad Madison] "Do I have to convert those MP4 files to the same format as My 5DMii files in order to get a reasonable export time? "

Yup. You should know that H.264 is part of the mp4 file format specification, meaning that they're pretty much joined at the hip in terms of friendliness to FCP... which is to say, not at all.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:39:40 pm

Despite the file format (.mov or .mp4), the codec for both files is most likely H264, which is what Final Cut doesn't like. I recommend you transcode ALL the files to a Final Cut friendly codec (ie. ProRes422). This will make not just make the export faster, but if done before would have saved you time in the edit (no render time).

Richard Keating
Editor, Co-Creator of ScreenLight
"Centralized Video Project Collaboration"
http://www.screenlight.tv
Blog: blog.screenlight.tv

Return to posts index

Brad Madison
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:17:21 pm

So as I have spent the time editing is there a way to convert the file and keep the work I have done in tact???

Thanks for the help.

B

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:55:00 pm

Yes. Convert your source files to ProRes422 and save to a new folder. When done, select video clips in Final Cut browser and right click "Make Offline...". Make sure you select to leave files on the disk so you don't delete your original source files. That will take all the video media offline. Then select the clips again in the browser and right-click "Reconnect Media...", this time selecting your newly converted clips in the new folder. This will bring everything back online, but with the new files. Make sure all the file names remain the same or you may have linking issues. If you have any issues, you can always reconnect back to the original files.

Richard Keating
Editor, Co-Creator of ScreenLight
"Centralized Video Project Collaboration"
http://www.screenlight.tv
Blog: blog.screenlight.tv

Return to posts index

Brad Madison
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:58:06 pm

Nice! I will give it a go.

My main issue to tackle then is to find enough space to make the prores files! Those things are HUUUGE! Any idea what size a 4gig MP4 would be after converting to prores?

B

PS... I think the files are so big because they were recorded in 60P.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:25:05 pm

[Brad Madison] "My main issue to tackle then is to find enough space to make the prores files! Those things are HUUUGE! "

Do you like retaining image quality? Then get used to big file sizes. That stuff you shot is in an acquisition codec, and the ONLY thing it's good for is acquiring video. You have to change it to something you can edit with, and that means big file sizes.

Welcome to video editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad Madison
on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:28:38 pm

I am learning this the hard way.

I have an external drive that I have been using as a storage & backup device... But I think I am gonna need to get a "work" drive, meaning using it only for projects being worked on. Are those G drives good?

http://g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

Been looking to get one of these for exactly this situation.

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]