FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips read 720 in Browser in FCP6 but not 7...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bree McCool
Clips read 720 in Browser in FCP6 but not 7...
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:53:18 pm

Forgive me if this has been covered and I would love to check out other threads that have had this problem...

I'm log and transferring about 1TB worth of footage and handing off the transfered MOV files from my Capture Scratch to my editor working off site. I'm working FCP7, he's working FCP6 but as far as I'm concerned, MOVs are MOVs and if we're connecting to the SAME exact media, why are his frame sizes automatically downgrading to 720 when the original files are in 1920 by 1280?

I even tried laying down a few clips in a sequence (with sequence settings that match his perfectly) and burning off an xml for him to open. He imported it, did a reverse and a dragged clips from his timeline to the browser. When you get clip information it says the Clip is 720 but the V1 is 1920...

AND he's having to render it all because apparently his timeline doesn't match his clip settings...

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Clips read 720 in Browser in FCP6 but not 7...
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:46:50 pm

[Bree McCool] "I'm log and transferring about 1TB worth of footage"

Form what source? Are you sure it's all 1080 footage? What codec?

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:53:26 pm

From a couple different sources...a CanonXF300 and a Panasonic, both recording in 1920 the whole time onto Flashcards.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:17:53 pm

[Bree McCool] "and a Panasonic, both recording in 1920 the whole time onto Flashcards."

Are you absolutely certain? Sorry to be a dead horse. What Panasonic camera?

Did this person import the files in to the browser first, then place the clips on a timeline?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:39:11 pm

I'm finding out exactly what Panasonic camera it was...the reason I didn't ask/don't know is because I was able to log and transfer them without installing a plugin so I didn't have to be so specific.

I'm grabbing all of these files form an external hard drive that someone made for me to ingest.

My director is pulling the ingested files from a drive I'm giving him and dropping them into his browser. Once dropped they are reading 720 instead of full 1920...so as a test I made an xml, saved in a FCP6 version, and had him import it into a brand new project with a sequence setting matching mine perfectly. He then dragged the clips from the timeline up into his browser and they still turned back to 720.

And I had NEVER downsized these clips to that size, they have always been the full 1920 and read as such when I get info on the movs AND when I format them they read 1920 in the clip and V1.

I'm wondering WHY his comp is doing that...he wants to edit in full 1080 and I don't want to have to online his cut, because he'd rather just do it all now.

Sorry if thats convoluted.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:33:42 pm

[Bree McCool] "And I had NEVER downsized these clips to that size, they have always been the full 1920 and read as such when I get info on the movs AND when I format them they read 1920 in the clip and V1."

I am seeing a lot of ways to mix up your information here. I believe you that you think have a problem, but first we fact check.

Find one of the clips that is showing up as 720.

Now open the log and transfer window and navigate to the card it belongs to and load that card in to the log and transfer window.

Now, right click on the top of column headers and choose "Show Format" from the drop down. Tell me what is says there for those clips.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:45:08 pm

The Panasonic HDC-TM700 is the one that was shot on and those clips say 50Mbps CBR 4:2:2 1920x1080 24p when loaded into the log/transfer window.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:29:06 am

And once you bring those in, what codec are they exactly?

There was a post the other day where someone was talking about how their clips would take the sequence settings and make it their own. But in order to do that you must drag the clips from the timeline to the browser.

There's no way in my mind a situation where the clips themselves ( Theo ones on the hard drive) can change from 1080 to 720 by dragging them over. My feeling is that instead of importing (file > import) the clips are being tossed on to a timeline right from the finder and Fcp is bugging out.

Any truth to that?

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 16, 2010 at 2:11:27 am

And once you bring those in, what codec are they exactly?

There was ample the other day where someone was talking about how their clips would take the sequence settings and make it their own. But in order to do that you must drag the clips from the timeline to the browser.

There's no way in my where the clips themselves ( Theo ones on the hard drive) can change from 1080 to 720 by dragging them over. My feeling is that instead of importing (file > import) the clips are being tossed on to a timeline right from the finder and Fcp is bugging out.

Any truth to that?

Yes I understand that and he was file>importing the clips to put them in the browser, not dragging them from the finder/HD. Both our sequence defaults are set exactly the same so even if he were to open a new project and bring the clips down into a new timeline it should be the same.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:36:33 am

[Bree McCool] "Yes I understand that and he was file>importing the clips to put them in the browser, not dragging them from the finder/HD. Both our sequence defaults are set exactly the same so even if he were to open a new project and bring the clips down into a new timeline it should be the same."

Then something is very wrong. Can you show any screengrabs? Specifically, can you show one of the clips in Quicktime that supposed to be 1080 but is really 720?

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:22:06 pm

Its weird because I can't get any of those clips to read 720 in quicktime or my browser in FCP7, it is ONLY when he views them in his browser in FCP6, at a different location, that they came up as such.

So I'm not sure what that will do for you or tell you, rather, about my clips because theres no problem on my end.

Here's a screengrab of the "get information":

And when I open the quicktimes they open larger than what my screen is so I have to "apple 3" to get it to a size I where I can see all corners...meaning it really is that large, its not just saying it is in the information.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:51:51 pm

Thank you so much for that screen grab because it answers a question that I asked many posts ago.

The files are ProResLT. FCP6 does not support ProResLT. Just ProRes and HQ.

That probably has something to do with your problem.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bree McCool
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:57:25 pm

Ugh, sorry...newbie syndrome.

I really appreciate your help, thanks very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]