FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't transfer a project from G5 to new iMac.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew David Clark
Can't transfer a project from G5 to new iMac.
on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:51:26 pm

I've recently bought an iMac 17 27", 2.9Ghz i7.
I'm going to be using a G-Raid FW800 2Tb drive and working in SD.

I have a documentary feature project that is on the G5 made with FCP 6.
I need to transfer it to the iMac to continue working on it.

Media manager failed -- I have many, many offline missing clips that when re-linked have differing media starts and ends. When updated manually they are in the wrong place.
Many of my clips do not have timecode so I think that may be the reason media manager is not working for me. I read that media manager only works with clips that have timecode.
Much of the stuff in my doc was filmed on a camcorder and has no timecode or has been re-rendered and output by people in different formats for various reasons (some footage taken from YouTube, for example).

I tried doing a straight copy from the two internal G5 HD's to the G-Raid but I still get the same problem of missing media on the iMac. About 50% of clips are missing or misaligned.
When I update the offline clips it causes all sorts of problems - audio and video in the wrong places.

I'm at a loss what to do next and I have sold the G5 and have to hand it over to the new owner on Saturday.
Please HELP! I'm really desperate after trying for five long days.

ADC

ADC

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Can't transfer a project from G5 to new iMac.
on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:55:14 pm

Do you also have clipped with the same name like "untitled" ? Are you using Media Manager to just copy? Are you asking it to delete unused media?

Return to posts index

Andrew David Clark
on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:17:27 am

Do you also have clipped with the same name like "untitled" ?
Hi Michael. Yes, they are mostly named "Untitled"

Are you using Media Manager to just copy? Are you asking it to delete unused media?
I was just trying to copy, as I didn't want to lose the captured clips in their entirety.
I didn't ask it to delete unused media.

ADC

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:33:51 am

[Andrew David Clark] "Do you also have clipped with the same name like "untitled" ?
Hi Michael. Yes, they are mostly named "Untitled""

FCP can't relink files when the name is the same. Each file must have a unique name. Without a unique reel number and timecode, I don't think even software like http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect/3 can help.

Return to posts index

Andrew David Clark
on Dec 14, 2010 at 9:57:34 am

Oh s**t. What am I going to do? Aaaarrrrgggghhh....

Thanks for the link, I will have a close look at that.

Is there any way around this, do you know? Or is a manual re-link my only option?
The project is so large with so many thousands of assets, I don't know if I can manually update successfully based on my previous attempts.

Would it help if I copied the media to a different format like ProRes? Would it give the new transferred files new file names which would resolve the problem?
I noticed there was a 'use existing file names" option in the media manager window.

ADC

Return to posts index

Andrew David Clark
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:17:04 pm

Another idea: if I put the hard drives from the G5 in to a firewire case and use as externals with the new imac, will everything work as before, or will it still lose the media path because it will be nested from the G5 root?

Any help is much appreciated.

ADC

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 14, 2010 at 9:06:42 pm

I would contact Bouke Vahl who writes the software I linked to. He has a profile on the COW. You need someone to help with this. Changing file names after editing is a dangerous thing but in this case, I suspect it has to be done somehow. This is why you will need help.

You can try a test using Media Manager but don't rush in and start changing file names. Keeping the disks is a good idea but I suspect you will have to fix the problem on the G5 where everything is still connected. If you pull drives and forward the machine, you may be in trouble. Get help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]