FORUMS: list search recent posts

White screen with prores LT footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
camille thoman
White screen with prores LT footage
on Dec 10, 2010 at 11:51:48 pm

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to help with this problem. I see there are similar threads elsewhere on the forum, but none that I could find that are exactly like this one:

I have been editing a doc on my system, running 7.0.3. (OS 10.5.8) The edit moved elsewhere for a month and is now back with me. When I hooked in my external drives yesterday, all the footage (which has been transcoded from H264 into prores LT 29.97) shows up as WHITE in both my canvass and my viewer. It is OK when stopped (though not always), but as soon as I play it, it turns white. The audio is there, I can hear everything. The timeline also appears normal.

Some new footage that I shot that is still in H264 is totally fine--the system only seems to be having a problem with the PRORES stuff, which is strange as I edited the prores footage all Fall on this system.

I tried messing with my mac system preferences/color display,(as suggested in a different thread for a similar problem) to no avail. Maybe I dont know enough to do it effectively.

Any thoughts?? I am really stuck.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: White screen with prores LT footage
on Dec 11, 2010 at 12:12:10 am

#15 White or Black Canvas or Viewer

Shane's Stock Answer #15: White or Black Canvas or Viewer

Make sure the canvas or viewer are selected then go to VIEW>CHANNELS and set it to RGB. It might be set to ALPHA.

OR...

Click on the drop down menu above the Viewer or Canvas and make sure that you are on IMAGE or IMAGE + WIREFRAME.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 11, 2010 at 12:12:54 am

Was the other system running Snow Leopard? If so it might be using a different version of quicktime to yours and perhaps it is the render files that you can't see.

You can test it by forcing a re-render on a few clips and if it is this, then trach the renders with Render Manager and re-render. I would also convert the H264 so that you only have the one codec in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Dec 11, 2010 at 12:26:47 am

I've had issues before with white viewer and canvas windows. And it's not because the video is set to show Alpha only (although that has caught me out before).

It's definitely an FCP bug as the video plays fine in QuickTime. I think it has something to do with the graphics card. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to the card fix the problem. Other times it's a full system restart.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

camille thoman
on Dec 11, 2010 at 1:18:44 am

Thank you for your responses. It's not the render files. What does a full system restart entail? I imagine you don't just mean restarting the computer.

I know my way around FCP, but cables and graphics cards...not so much. If it turns out I cant fix this alone, do you know of anyone or any place I can go to (phone?) for help over the weekend that won't cost an arm and a leg? I am in Los Angeles.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:17:09 am

No reason to think about any hardware problem or bug.

Had you tried what Shane suggested?

If the Canvas is not set to Alpha, make sure that QT7 Pro is registered (QT Pro > Register).
As Michael says, review your QT environment and try the usual first aid options:
- Re-install the last FC Update.
- Trash Preferences.
- Repair permissions/re-build directories
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]