FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work flow query re MPEG-2 MXF with Canon XF Format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
Work flow query re MPEG-2 MXF with Canon XF Format
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:12:43 pm

Researching prior posts I found that Shane wrote - in February:

"There is no native MXF editing in FCP...not with FCP alone. You need third party software to deal with that, like MXF4MAC, Calibrated or Raylight. But if you get the Sony XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin, you can then import the files as .mov quicktimes. FCP is designed to work with QT files. Why not import that way? Why the insistence on editing native MXF? There is no quality loss."

This is good news - as I am considering a camera ( Canon XF 105) about to be released that outputs MPEG-2, 4:2:2 video in an MXF file format on CF Cards and shoots 60p/60i, 30p and 24p at up to 50Mbps and uses the Canon XF Codec.

Two questions - Does anyone know whether the Sony plug-in mentioned above would work with this video, enabling me to import the files as Quicktime? Or is there a better way that I should be looking at before purchase?

Thanks -

PS _ I'm currently running FCP 6.06 on a Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 with 4 GB of RAM.

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Work flow query re MPEG-2 MXF with Canon XF Format
on Dec 10, 2010 at 9:26:54 pm

[Dennis Dean] "Two questions - Does anyone know whether the Sony plug-in mentioned above would work with this video, enabling me to import the files as Quicktime?"

No. That is for the EX cameras only. They shoot a completely different format.

[Dennis Dean] " Or is there a better way that I should be looking at before purchase? "

Canon makes a Log and Transfer plugin for that camera. Go to their website and download it, then you can use Log and Transfer and convert to ProRes. You might have to dig, I hear it isn't easy to find.

[Dennis Dean] "PS _ I'm currently running FCP 6.06 on a Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 with 4 GB of RAM."

OH...well then, you are SOL. Sorry, but you can ONLY convert to ProRes on an Intel Mac...and that camera's plugin only works with FCP 7. I guess you can try ClipWrap2...see if it works. But really, if you want to use the newest camera gear and camera tech, you need to have the newest hardware and software in post as well. Just the way things go.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
Re: Work flow query re MPEG-2 MXF with Canon XF Format
on Dec 10, 2010 at 9:30:35 pm

Shane - thanks very much. A new Mac and FCP 7 is in the budget so that should not be an issue.

Thanks very much for your help with this - and all the other posts of yours I've researched and that have been helpful.

Dennis

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]