FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting audio files in a different format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Berg
Reconnecting audio files in a different format
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:40:42 pm

Hello,

Found myself in a bit of a trouble when trying to reconnect audio files in a different format than the ones i've edited the material in.

The main problem is that the whole sequence have been edited from a cannon 5d mk 2's internal mic. The "real" sound from the sound technician has later on been delivered in two tracks (1 boom and 1 microport track) and every clip has been synced afterwards in the same timecode and filename as the original material.

However when i try replacing the 5d audio files I get the message that attributes of the clip has changed. Sometimes the audio is a few frames off sync and other times it's several seconds.

Is there a solution to this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reconnecting audio files in a different format
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:24:01 pm

I suggest you look for a similar thread to yours earlier this week, about the proper way of working with dual-system sound. A guy did the very same thing you did: he started editing a project using footage shot on a DSLR, and just assumed that when the right audio showed up, it would be a chip shot to get everything to sync up properly.

In this thread, Shane Ross -- a gent who knows his stuff, and who has pretty much written the book on using DSLR video in FCP -- stated in no uncertain terms that the only accepted way to work with audio like this and DSLR video is to WAIT. You WAIT until you have the additional audio in hand, then you sync the audio and use FCP's Merge command to create footage with the correct audio. Only then do you begin the edit.

"But I couldn't wait: I have a deadline!"

Well, I hope you like good, strong coffee, and lots of it. Now have to go through your project clip by clip and replace the audio. There is no easy workaround. You're stuck. And your deadline looms.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:00:38 pm

This is now the 6th post I have seen on the forums with this issue. I just scolded someone a few posts down:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1113745

Who are these editors that people are hiring that don't know the proper steps for footage with second system audio? They should not be getting these jobs. In the interview process...for the future...I suggest asking the editors how they would deal with second system audio. If they don't say "Sync it with the video before I start editing" then say "good day" and send them packing.

Sorry, ranting. The level of technical knowledge that many of these new editors have is pretty darn poor.
There is a reason that people need to start as assistants, and move up.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:21:45 pm

[Shane Ross] "The level of technical knowledge that many of these new editors have is pretty darn poor."

I think it's an offshoot of a certain mentality:
"I've got a laptop... I've got Final Cut Suite... I've got a camera... I'm a film maker! Steve Jobs said it was easy, didn't he?"

In After Effects-Land, where I spend a lot of time, newbies think it's a piece of cake to turn poorly-exposed, shaky 60i flip-cam video into great-looking 23.976 footage for film festivals.
"Hey, they can do it on NCIS and CSI, can't they? There's a plugin to do it, isn't there?"

It's not that different from saying, "Yeah, I can jump across that 22-foot-wide chasm! I saw 'em do it once in a cartoon."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]