FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filmed 50i in USA, having rolling shutter problem in post, any solution in FCP??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tawqeer Mirza
Filmed 50i in USA, having rolling shutter problem in post, any solution in FCP??
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:49:19 pm

HI!

I filmed in US using the Sony EX-3. most of it was indoors and I thought its a decent idea to film in 1080p/50i so I wouldn't need to convert it when I come back to the UK. I initially did a test to see if I had a problem with the shutter when filming indoors so leaving the shutter on auto I did a few minutes worth of filming and when I checked after import to FCP it was fine.
However, in the actual footage that was taken when changing the shot, I get the issue with the rolling shutter which I didn't notice until now. Is there a way to fix this in FCP or on Mac??
thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Filmed 50i in USA, having rolling shutter problem in post, any solution in FCP??
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:55:52 pm

The Foundry makes a plugin for After Effects that you might look into. http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Filmed 50i in USA, having rolling shutter problem in post, any solution in FCP??
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:05:48 pm

[Tawqeer Mirza] "I filmed in US using the Sony EX-3. most of it was indoors and I thought its a decent idea to film in 1080p/50i so I wouldn't need to convert it when I come back to the UK. I initially did a test to see if I had a problem with the shutter when filming indoors so leaving the shutter on auto I did a few minutes worth of filming and when I checked after import to FCP it was fine."
Rolling shutter issues are due to the fashion in which the CMOS is charged and scanned.
Nothing to do to fix this by playing with the Shutter.
And of course, nothing about shooting in Europe or USA.
Are you sure that rolling shutter is the issue.
Can you post a pict?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tawqeer Mirza
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:25:51 pm

I've found the problem: the shutter streaks across the screen like an analogue tv with bad reception. And I've found that it only happens in Final Cut Pro window. The actual file itself when viewed in finder is fine, and even when looking at the output on my preview monitor I don't see the shutter. So the file itself is fine, its just FCP is allergic to it.

Tanks to all for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:23:24 pm

This doesn't sound like a rolling shutter issue. It sounds like a 50hz / 60hz issue, with fluorescent lights being the culprit. Could that be true?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tawqeer Mirza
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:27:04 pm

yes that is true, I've been referring to it the wrong way.

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:10:03 pm

I had the same problem when we tried the EX1R at Budapest with NTSC settings. To solve the problem the shutter has to be the multiply of the 50 Hz (in the EU) or 60 Hz (in the US). For example 1/100 EU, 1/120 US.

I got some example:

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:29:55 pm

[Tawqeer Mirza] "However, in the actual footage that was taken when changing the shot, I get the issue with the rolling shutter which I didn't notice until now. Is there a way to fix this in FCP or on Mac??"

Indoors you're going to run into the 50hz vs. 60hz electrical issue. You'll see flickering from all the lighting indoors.

We see the exact same thing when we shoot NTSC (60i) in Europe and play the footage back here. There's a continuous flicker in the shot from 50hz electrical in Europe.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:57:44 pm

I think the same than Davie and Walter. Probably you haven't changed the camera Flicker Filter to work in 50 Khz environment.
This issue is historic and has been discussed few times on his forum.
GenArts Sapphire have a De-flicker filter for those situations.
I haven't tried yet.

Here is a Larry Jordan's tip that may work:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-Jlc5OJ44psC&pg=PA232&lpg=PA232&dq=Final+C...
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michal Pietrzyk
on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:00:59 am

Dear Forum,

I on the other hand, am experiencing the opposite problem...my shooter didn't account for shutter speed when we were in Europe filming NTSC standard. Been trying the GenArts Sapphire plug-in on a demo, which seems to be working well so far. Anyone got a tried and true method to get rid of flicker? (To the previous poster, you're exactly right about the source of the problem: indoor, under flourescents with no additional light, it's the worst then.) Ideas?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]