FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline Setting question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Kirsh
Timeline Setting question
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:45:15 pm

Hi,

I am working on a project right now that requires me to sync up slides to audio. A very simple procedure except for the fact that when I bring in the jpegs of the presentation slides and place them on the timeline I am required to render them out. The client wants the video at 800x600. I have the slides in a PDF and can bring them in at any resolution. I did have the timeline set to NTSC DV (3:2) with a pixel aspect ratio set to NTSC - CCIR 601/Dv(720x480) and the Compressor was set to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. The jpegs were large (apx. 2519x1947) FCP scaled them down to about 30% of original size to fit them in. Under these original settings I could place the jpegs on the timeline without needing to render, however the image quality was aweful. The jpegs were blurry and digitized and no good for our purposes. So I made the following changes. I set the Frame size to 800x600 (Custom 4:3), Pixel Aspect Ratio was set to Square, and the Compressor I set to H.264. Field Dominance was set to Lower and the Editing Timebase was 29.97 under both settings. In the second setting all of the jpegs needed rendering whether they were on the timeline already or if I brought them in fresh. I even tried resizing them in photoshop to 800x600 but it made no difference. What can I do to fix this problem. Or is this just the way it has to be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Timeline Setting question
on Dec 9, 2010 at 1:22:55 am

Keep it simple. Use a DV-NTSC or ProRes timeline. Add your photos (convert to png). Render your timeline. Yes you will need to render.

800 x 600 is NOT a video format.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jon Kirsh
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:28:28 pm

Thanks Steve. I will try that out. I know 800x600 isn't a standard video format but that I what the client wants to display the video at. We are having to convert the final MOV file to FLV for their website.

Return to posts index

Jon Kirsh
on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:34:57 pm

By the way. Is there a reason that I should use PNG over JPEG? And any thoughts on what compressor I should set it to? I am seeing that H.264 seems to give me the clearest results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]