FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red cam and Canon 7D footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meagan Oravec
Red cam and Canon 7D footage
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:31:39 pm

Help!!

I'm going to be editing a feature film that is being shot on two different cameras, and it's been left in my hands to find out if everything will work. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the red camera and canon 7D work together in final cut? or if there are any problems or complications with mixing the two on the same timeline?

There is no time or money for cameras tests to play around with in Final Cut so any information would be incredibly helpful!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Red cam and Canon 7D footage
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:50:27 am

[Meagan Oravec] "I'm wondering if anyone knows if the red camera and canon 7D work together in final cut?"

That all depends... Before anyone can help you, you have first got to find out what frame rates are being shot with both cameras and tell us, because it's not about whether the cameras work together, it's whether the frame rates work together that really matters.

Also, no matter what you determine about the frame rates, you need to know that the aspect ratio of those cameras are different and their color sensitivity is also different, so if the intent is to make them look identical and indistinguishable that's not easy.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Meagan Oravec
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:15:13 am

The cameras are both going to be shooting at 24p.

Thank you for the info about the aspect ratio and sensitivity! That is incredibly helpful to know.

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Dec 9, 2010 at 1:25:56 pm

Hi Meagan,
the thing to do is be very organised about logging and transferring the footage into your system. Make sure they are conformed to the same codec, that will make your timeline play properly - I imagine ProRes is the preferred format. If it is prores you might need quite a lot of storage space if you are shooting a doc feature.

Be consistent about naming and backing up your footage. It is so easy to lose track of rushes especially if you start cutting corners midway through the project.

hope that useful
cheers
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]