FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio Misinterpretation of After Effects Renders

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Daire
Aspect Ratio Misinterpretation of After Effects Renders
on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:08:35 pm

Hi,

I am going mad because of a problem I have for a while but now with hundrets of Clips its becoming a major annoyance.
When Importing ProRes QT Clips rendered with AE CS3 into Final Cut7 (had the same problems with FCP6) the footage interpretation is messed up and set to Anamorph and PAL Aspect Ratio although its Quad Pixels.
So i have to change every single clip by hand after import via object settings. Is there any quick solution to this ... I am thinking of AEs remember+apply footage interpretation feature which can be used to a batch of clips at once?!

Also... Adobe changed aspect ratios in Quad Pixel comps with CS4, so PAL 16:9 is not 1048 and not 1024... why is that. Especially when using Media Encoder with the usual ratios I get quite some problems. So it works both ways... FCP-> Adobe = Problems and vice versa. Am i missing something?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Karim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Aspect Ratio Misinterpretation of After Effects Renders
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:24:52 pm

Had you tried selecting all the clips on the Browser and change all at once?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:10:02 pm

PAL SD should be 720 x 576 which is anamorphic, not square pixel. If you export that ration from CS4 it should drop into a PAL 16:9 sequence correctly without needing rendering. If you export as square pixels, FCP has to squeeze it into anamorphic which sets distortion values and needs rendering. So match CS4 to the FCP sequence settings and all will be much easier in future.

Return to posts index

Karim Daire
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:37:22 pm

Hi Michael,

I work with square pixel renders to get best possible quality of type and logo graphics for use on computers and if I need a DVD I can squeeze my 1024x576 files into a PAL Composition. Since I barely export to DVD any more this makes most sense for most of my projects. But FCP sets the import settings for Square Pixel Footage rather random. If I use PAL settings its fine but not with 1024x576 square pix renders.
After applying the right footage interpretation myself (if fields are used these are messed up most of the time too) I can squeeze those into PAL and FCP distorts them properly but if I use CS4 settings FCP can't handle these, i get black bars and have to apply the right distortion myself. Thats why I don't get only Adobe uses different square pixel ratios from CS4 upward?!?

Karim

-Karim-
Freelance Cutter, Compositor and Animator from Hamburg/Germany

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:48:40 pm

[Karim Daire] "I work with square pixel renders to get best possible quality of type and logo graphics for use on computers"

So are your sequence settings 1024 x 576? If not then your graphics are getting squished by FCP which won't do as good a job as CS4. My point is that the graphics should match the sequence. If they don't then you need to decide which one should change as it will mean either the graphics will need rendering or the camera footage.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 8, 2010 at 9:07:58 pm

[Karim Daire] "I work with square pixel renders to get best possible quality of type and logo graphics for use on computers and if I need a DVD I can squeeze my 1024x576 files into a PAL Composition. Since I barely export to DVD any more this makes most sense for most of my projects. But FCP sets the import settings for Square Pixel Footage rather random. If I use PAL settings its fine but not with 1024x576 square pix renders"
1024x576 SQ pixels should perfectly fit on a PAL Anamorphic canvas, without any scaling or distortion. You will have to render always, and probably will be less RT.
So set 1024x576 SQ on the Browser (no Anamorphic), and bring the clips to the PAL Anamorphic sequence.
If the clips do not fit on the canvas, select the clips and "Remove Attributes> Basic Motion+ Distort.
If the clips still doesn't fit, then there is something wrong with your AE export setting, and they are no really 1024x576 SQ.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Karim Daire
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:29:29 pm

Hi Rafael,

unfortunately if you select multiple clips and right click for the object settings only the right clicked object settings will be changed not the whole highlighted group.

But I just realized you can just select a group of clips and then set the anamorph switch and aspect ration settings in the columns of the file window, so this works fine.

Thanks for your hint, I was stuck in the context menu and never thought about checking the columns before.

Karim

-Karim-
Freelance Cutter, Compositor and Animator from Hamburg/Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]