FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicklook in Browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
Quicklook in Browser
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:40:46 pm

I'm looking for a specific shot buried somewhere in one of my clips and I was wondering if there is a way to scroll through clips in the FCP Browser using the down arrow similar to the Finder's Quicklook? Or should I just use the Finder and Quicklook? I'd prefer to stay in FCP.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Quicklook in Browser
on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:27:57 pm

There is nothing quite like the QuickLook function in the FCP browser, but it would be a great feature request. Why don't you post it to feedback?

The closest you can get to it I think is to switch to icon view, or show the thumbnails in list view, and scrub through the icon. Not the same thing at all, but it might help you.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:19:20 pm

You can also set a new poster frame for each clip in the thumbnail view

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:25:05 pm

Pretty sad when a 2+ year old OS tweak is better for browsing videos than a $1k dedicated video editing app. Shouldn't have to suggest this to Apple. They shouldn't be in the video biz if that's the case.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:25:12 pm

Pretty sad when a 2+ year old OS tweak is better for browsing videos than a $1k dedicated video editing app. Shouldn't have to suggest this to Apple. They shouldn't be in the video biz if that's the case.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42:52 pm

Dustin,

I have created my own shortcut which does exactly this. I've programmed it into the 'Page Up' and 'Page Down' arrows. I did this using some software called Butler, which it seems you now have to pay for (it used to be free, although there is a free trial).
You tell it the keyboard shortcuts involved and then tell it which button to assign that series of shortcuts to.

The shortcuts for 'next clip down' are CMD+4 (select Browser window), Down Arrow, Return Arrow
For 'next clip up' change it to Up arrow.

You could also add 'Space Bar' to the end if you wanted the clip to start playing automatically like it does in finder. Not as elegant as Finder but it does the job. Programming your own shortcuts like this really opens FCP up.

Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
Shot on RED, Post on FCP/Color: Short Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Dec 8, 2010 at 12:13:00 am

Interesting, I've never heard of that program but it sounds quite powerful. I'll have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mac Pro | Leopard 10.5.7
2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB Ram
Final Cut Pro Studio 2 | Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:18:03 am

[Dustin Parsons] "Interesting, I've never heard of that program but it sounds quite powerful"

Yeah, it's good. It's obviously not just for FCP, you can make shortcuts for anything. I think there are other similar programmes out there but Butler was the first I came across. It seems to be pretty popular as you can download pre-made shortcuts all over the web. I got one the other day that adds a shortcut for giving items in Finder colour labels! Very handy.

Of course Tom and Bret are right, this should already be a feature. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't use it. Hopefully FCP 8 will be as awesome as Steve Jobs says and include this useful feature. Get requesting!

Alex

Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
Shot on RED, Post on FCP/Color: Short Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Al Sinclair
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:59:52 am

Just a thought, but you could just dump all of your clips into a timeline... Just drag your folder(s) into a sequence and shuttle through it.

I do this all the time for browsing clips.

Cheers,

Al

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:41:39 am

I do too, but it's really a workaround for what would be a really useful feature.

P.S. Please anyone who thinks this would be useful take a moment to use feedback and make a feature request.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:34:37 pm

I seq view.

It is great for me add for clients. We can just look at ALL the selects of a certain take if they want. I rarely
view clips by double clicking on them to slow.

May not be the same thing that you are looking for but I thought I would add.

Another thing is there a way to INCREASE the size of the thumbbail in the browser view while keep the list
view that is.

thanks

bibbo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]