FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting for Color grading questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Anderson
Exporting for Color grading questions
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:21:44 am

Hello,

Let me first say that this is the first time I am trying to prep a sequence to be exported out of FCP for proper color grading - I searched the forums but couldn't find specific answers. Essentially, I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly and at utmost quality for the color house and I have run across a few issues:

The setup:

The project is a feature that was shot in DVCPro HD 1080p on the HPX 500. I cut it and now have to export a sequence and QT reference for the color house, which will grade it on a MYSTIKA. The project is NTSC, 23.98 timebase and to be finished on HDCam and DCP.

1. The color house asked for .dpx files, but since I cannot generate them out of FCP, they told me I could give them a .TIFF sequence. Will the .TIFF sequence be of the same or better quality than .dpx?

2. I am exporting as 'image sequence' 23.98 fps, compression: none, and millions of colors+. These are the correct settings for highest quality, correct?

3. Will the resulting .TIFFs be 16-bit?

4. I did a small test and compared identical frames from the HD 'master' DVCPro HD sequence and the same frame as an exported .TIFF in the settings above and I noticed the slight 'color shift' towards red mentioned in many forums that IS present in the .TIFF frame but not in the original. Is this because I rendered in 'YUV' and .TIFF is RGB? And if so, why would that affect clips or areas of the sequence where there was no rendering?

Any help/advice/confirmation on my process would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I am doing everytthing correctly and how to 'fix' the color shifting so that what I give the color house is the clean, best materials they need to do their job!

Thank you!

Tim

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
Re: Exporting for Color grading questions
on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:26:32 am

Mistika recognises both the source DVCPro HD files from the camera and the DVCPro HD QuickTimes in your FCP. Don't bother creating TIFF's - give them what you already have.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
Re: Exporting for Color grading questions
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:47:05 pm

Hi Gary -

Thanks for the response. So, to confirm, you are saying that Mistika can grade and correct off of the DVCPro HD files, so all I would need to give them is my master QuickTime of the film at full quality export with any video transitions taken out (so they have all of the frames clean) and we should be good?

Will this result in the same level of quality in the results?

No TIFFs, .dpx, etc...?

THANKS for the info in advance!

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]