FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scene/take number not included after log and transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stipe
Scene/take number not included after log and transfer
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:17:09 pm

After I log my footage and add the scene, shot/take, angle, and log notes, it somehow loses that information after the transfer. I am compressing the clips after the log and transfer, is there some kind of setting/default that I need to change in order for the newly compressed clips to retain the scene/shot/etc. information?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scene/take number not included after log and transfer
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:01:00 pm

Have you gotten a look at this?

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:17:52 pm

There is little info on what you are actually doing, but I think the clue is the bit about recompressing after L&T.

Perhaps if you gave us your workflow details we might be able to spot the problem and suggest a better way. But check Dave's link first as it might explain a better workflow.

Return to posts index

Michael Stipe
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:41:19 am

That link makes me think that metadata doesn't transfer over, but here is my basic workflow:

I L&T AVCHD footage in FCP. Then open those files in the compressor and compress it into 24p. Then I import the compressed files back into the browser. Is there a better/more efficient workflow than this?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:49:51 am

Not sure why you are doing the extra step in Compressor, but if there is metadata after the L&T stage, then Compressor must be stripping it out. If you go straight to Compressor, it doesn't pickup timecode embedded in metadata in Canon h264 files for example.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 4, 2010 at 9:52:44 pm

Why are you re-compressing with Compressor and when will R.E.M.'s next album be released?

Return to posts index

Michael Stipe
on Dec 6, 2010 at 9:08:51 pm

Well I'm not re-compressing, I maybe just didn't explain what I'm doing clearly. I am ingesting footage from my canon HD Vixia HG20 cameras through log and transfer in FCP. I'm then going into my capture scratch folder and compressing the clips - Apple ProRes 422, 10 bit-video, to remove the pulldown from the HG20 clips since it was shot at PF24.

Ignore my original question. I understand that now.

Are you suggesting there is a simpler way to go about this workflow?

February I believe...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 7, 2010 at 2:34:36 am

[Michael Stipe] "I'm then going into my capture scratch folder and compressing the clips - Apple ProRes 422, 10 bit-video, to remove the pulldown from the HG20 clips since it was shot at PF24."

You shouldn't need the extra step of going into your capture scratch to transcode to ProRes. In Long and Transfer, click the icon that looks like a sprocket above the preview window and select "Preferences". if its not already set to it, set the AVCHD Plugin Target Format to Apple ProRes 422. When you begin the ingest process, your media will be transcoded to ProRes. I think using this method your metadata should remain intact.

Then use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown (either standalone or from the Tools Menu in FCP).

Can't wait until February.

Return to posts index

Michael Stipe
on Dec 7, 2010 at 3:55:55 am

OK, great. Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

Return to posts index

Michael Stipe
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:45:20 pm

So I tried it, and it worked - sort of. I'm still getting some interlacing after I use Cinema Tools. I even put a de-interlacing filter on and it didn't remove everything. I can still see interlacing on very fast motions after I export the video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]