FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vyvix line???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cohen
Vyvix line???
on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:56:55 pm

I have an expert that we want to use for a segment we are producing, but he does not want to fly to us.

They are suggesting using a vyvix line.

I'm not familiar with this and what it would entail on our end.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of line and what is needed to receive it?

I did a Google search, but did not come up with much on it.

Thanks for the help.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
Re: Vyvix line???
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:16:20 pm

Think of a Vyvix line as a satellite replacement. They are simply long lines that are capable of carrying a broadcast signal over distance. They used to be cheaper than booking satellite time but I haven't done that for a long time so I don't know prices.

Good-sized cities will have one or two (or more) studios with Vyvix connections and satellite uplink/downlink connections. They will have cameras, switchers, personnel, etc. to shoot an interview and send the signal live to a Vyvix-connected studio with receiver/recorder somewhere down the line (you).

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:19:45 pm

Thanks Ron;

I was wonder more about receiving the signal, so I take it that we would either need to truck to receive it or see if a local station can get the feed for us and dump it to tape.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:42:08 pm

Yes, you're right. Just as you would need someone with a satellite dish and connection/decoding hardware to record a satellite downlink, you would need a Vyvix terminal operator/studio to capture the Vyvix signal for you. Here in San Francisco I used to use a company called ITN on Battery Street. I think they might still be there; not sure. If so, that might be a first inquiry to get guidance on whom to contact in your own area.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:51:31 pm

Your google search didn't work because its spelled 'Vyvx'.
Vyvx pops will have standard audio and video connections at the port, and like Ron said there are a bunch of places that already have the gear in place like uplinks and studios. Any stadium with major league professional sports team will also have a Vyvx pop. You have to book time on it, like using a satellite uplink. If you can find one at a studio or uplink near you they can probably record your feed. If you go to a stadium, all there will be is a panel (pop) with audio, video, phone and data connections, so you either need to bring a deck and a phone, or a small remote truck.

Vyvx
720-888-1000

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:03:59 pm

Thanks again guys.
I'm in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, so I'm sure someone will have a terminal.

Even if we have to go with a sports team, we have the Dolphins and Marlins at Sun Life Stadium or the Heat at American Airlines Arena or even the Panthers at BankAtlantic Center, but I'm sure one of the local affiliates would have one we could use.

Another option I'm looking at and we have in place already is a Getner, which will allow the people on each end to hear what is being said to each other, and if they have the ability to record to tape and then send us the tape we can marry it together here.

We've done that before with Satellite Media Tours.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:15:06 pm

Steve,

There used to be a place in Ft Lauderdale called Digital Comm Link. They should be able to help you.
http://www.dclinc.net

Or you can try Miami News Net.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]