FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for headphones for editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Laslo
Recommendations for headphones for editing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:29:03 pm

Hi All,

In the spirit of the holidays I am looking for a gift idea for myself...

I work in an office building where speakers aren't always practical for editing as I'm on the same floor as a lot of other employees and don't have a soundproof work environment. What do you recommend as a good pair of headphones for video editing. I would also be open to suggestions for good monitor speakers but don't have much of a budget as I would be paying for these myself. I'd say $100 is probably around the top i could spend for both the headphones and the speakers unless there is a really good reason to go higher. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Mark

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Recommendations for headphones for editing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:05:55 pm

Sony MDR-7506

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:20:36 pm

I use Sony MDR V6. Happy with those. They're actually more of a field headset because they fold up. I like 'em.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:23:52 pm

With that budget I'd spend it all on the headphones. I'd recommend trying a few pairs on as what you need for editing is the ability to wear them for extended periods of time without them really annoying you, so check that they sit comfortably on your head and aren't too tight, but don't actually fall off when you look around. I've got some Sennheiser HD480s next to me right now which are fine for me, also I like Beyer DT100s, but I think they're probably a bit above your price range.

Decent speakers are going to be a lot more expensive than $100, (unless anyone else knows something I don't).

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:18:08 pm

Thanks All,

I checked out both Sony pairs at B&H and they look decent. I'm going to try and see if there is a place nearby that carries good headphones - probably Guitar Center would be my best guess. My next question is B&H offers them with the Pearstone Deluxe earpads and I was curious if either of you bought the deluxe earpads and if you thought they were worth it compared to the normal earpads.

I've used a pair of Sony's before in the field and I do like them, very comfy. Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:37:57 pm

I got mine stock; no add-ons. I think I might have bought them at B&H, in fact. Or maybe Amazon.

Return to posts index

Matthew Press
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:56:59 pm

Check out Adorama and save 20 bucks. Between 5th and 6th on 18th street NYC

Thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:01:01 pm

For the money, I'm a huge fan of Direct Sound EX-25 headphones (or EX-29). These are passive isolation phones (no batteries) and I love these on set or in the studio - they wipe out all outside sound or noise and they don't flavor the sound (like Bose and many others do). Here's the site: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ex-25.html - just search Amazon and you'll find 'em. The EX-29 runs about $100. For a video - go here: http://www.purewaveaudio.com/product/DIS-EX25/Direct-Sound-EX-25.html (this is not my site) - there is a "Watch Video" link there where the owner talks a bit about them at NAMM.

Whatever you decide, skip the noise-canceling phones - they flavor the sound so you don't get an accurate idea of what the final sounds like. Be wary of Bose - they flavor the sound a LOT - this mostly holds true for any consumer headphones. Skip the Monster Dr. Dre phones - absurdly expensive.

If you can afford it, consider the options from Ultrasone. I like the DJ1 for studio, but it runs about $200. Ultrasone are my favorites above Direct Sound.

The only other brand I like (and I've tried many of the ones in this thread) is Audio Technica for price and features, but I truly feel the Direct Sound offering is better.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:15:46 pm

[Jonathan Ziegler] "If you can afford it, consider the options from Ultrasone"

+1 for the Ultrasone. They not only sound great but are low radiation and designed to reduce listener fatigue. I reviewed them for a magazine a few years ago and they stacked up for accuracy against my studio mix monitors.

The cheapest way to good quality is headphones. I recommend all editors have good headphones available to check critical sound. I get so many editors turning up to a mix saying - "gee I never heard that rumble/hi pitch squeal/truck reversing beeps/distortion/etc etc.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:21:14 pm

Headphones for editing is really not the ideal way to go. A good near field monitoring set up is best. But I get your dilemma. When I need to use the phones around the edit bay, I pull out my trusty Sony phones that I use on shoots.
Sony MDR 7506 is what almost everyone uses on location, or in the field. These are full diaphragm, over the ear types. The 06 is the folding model, there is a non folder, too. They are reasonably comfortable. I say "reasonably" because any headphone you wear for along period of time will give you 'cauliflower ear', and cause 'listening fatigue'.
Comfort is really the secondary issue because headphone will all 'color' the sound and make any mixing you do will sound different when heard in a monitor situation. The Sony has a pretty 'flat' response, and they sell them at most AV type stores, and I have seen them at Guitar Center. These are going to set you back around $150, but that isn't a lot for good quality gear that will last. My pair is at least ten years old, and survived hundreds of location shoots, and still work great.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:54:02 pm

Not to play mother hen, but I'd really recommend against using headphones for any extended period of time.

I know a video editor who substituted headphones for the same reason you are considering. He was very cautious in his general listening levels (not a rock out kind of person), but ended up developing tinnitus. While the jury is out on the definitive cause, it's not a far cry to assume he developed it from a combination of length of use (using them while working on projects) and fluctuating workflow levels (we all know how those can buzz you unexpectedly from time to time).

Headphones are okay for limited usage, but you may want to reconsider using them for a regular workflow.

Some people may use them regularly with no problems and that's fine, but just keep in mind that you could feel like you are doing everything right and you might still be jeopardizing your hearing. It's not something that might effect you short term, but it could down the road and it is most certainly not worth it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:46:35 am

[Eddie Torre] "Not to play mother hen, but I'd really recommend against using headphones for any extended period of time."

There are many potential causes for tinnitus. One of the main culprits is long term exposure to moderate levels. However, there is no reason why headphones would be any different to speakers. In a noisy environment there would be reason to expect lower monitoring levels with enclosed headphones than speakers.

I did nearly a decade of location sound wearing headphones for long periods. I ended up making a pair using industrial earmuffs to further exclude external noise so I could keep the monitoring levels down. At 53 and a lifetime of sound production and post production (plus I was a drummer in from age 5 to 23), I have a very mild amount of tinitus but only when I get wax buildup.

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:26:18 pm

Thanks all for the recommendations and health concerns.

I'll admit I'm probably already in trouble in that field from listening to loud music and even louder concerts. It is definitely something I will take into consideration.

I'm glad to know a lot of you use these in the field as well as it will allow these headphones to serve double function when at work. I'll let you know how I make out and what I decide upon later on. Any other recommendations before I start my shopping?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Jonny Elwyn
on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:03:01 pm

Hey

Just thought i'd share a link to my blog about my thought on the best headphones for film and video editors. Check it out on http://www.jonnyelwyn.co.uk

jonnyelwyn.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]