FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Canon T2i footage in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emin Bassavand
Working with Canon T2i footage in FCP
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:24:25 am

Hey everyone, i know this questions been asked a million times but the fixes that work with everyone don't really work with me

So on my MacbookPro (2.2 ghz intel duo, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.4.11) i have some files from a Rebel T2i (shot in 1080p 24fps). So from what i understand i need to convert these to ProRes or some other FCP friendly file format. (i'm working with FCP 6.0.6 btw). I have used both Compressor and MPEG Steamclip to convert the files to ProRes but when i import them to Final Cut they become extremely choppy and impossible to work with...

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Working with Canon T2i footage in FCP
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:21:55 am

You say they play back choppy, give us some info on the drive you are editing off of, like hoe is it connected to the computer.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Emin Bassavand
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:31:35 am

the .mov files from the t2i are on my external harddrive (connected with USB), but when i converted them to ProRes i put them onto my desktop (just to test it out)... so im working from my internal harddrive.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:29:07 pm

[Emin Bassavand] "the .mov files from the t2i are on my external harddrive (connected with USB), but when i converted them to ProRes i put them onto my desktop (just to test it out)... so im working from my internal harddrive."

Two rules of editing video to prevent dropped frames when editing. 1 Don't edit from a USB drive, USB works in bursts of data so it cannot always keep up with the high data rates needed for video. 2 Don't edit from your system drive. That drive already has enough to do running the OS and Apps.

Use an external FireWire Drive at the least.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Emin Bassavand
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:00:30 pm

Thanks Zane! i'll grab a firewire cable and hopefully that'll work

MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. OSX 10.4.11

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:52:43 am

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Works almost the same for FCP 6.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Emin Bassavand
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:53:59 am

thanks for this, but i'm using OSX 10.4.11 and according to Canon's website the minimum requirement for the final cut EOS update is OSX 10.6.4 or later

and plus i no longer have access to the card. all the video files are saved onto my external harddrive

MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. OSX 10.4.11

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:29:48 pm

When you copy / duplicate the camera card footage to your drive you need to copy everything not just the video files.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Emin Bassavand
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:13:24 pm

yeah... i think this is the main problem... i stupidly used iphoto to bring in my files... just a dumb move on my part. i'll use a card reader from now on, hopefully thatll do the trick

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:18:16 am

You need a dedicated media drive. Get a firewire harddisk to playback your ProRes media.

Return to posts index

Ashley Harvey
on Dec 3, 2010 at 6:16:36 pm

Hey guys, I hate to jump in here, but I have been scouring the web and this thread is the closest I could find to being even remotely close. I am running an ancient FCP system (FCP HD 4.5 on a G4 Quicksilver 933MHz with only 1 gig RAM - OSX 10.4.11. All drives used for media are external Rocstor firewire drives.) I have been using it to edit DV video for years with great results, however my Sony TRV-900 finally gave up, and I recently got a Canon T2i. I am trying to figure out how to get these two to work together so I can go on editing video. Its not for on-air, just personal use, but I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. Everyone is recommending using the AIC or PRORES codecs, but my software does not have them, and as far as I can tell, I cannot get them seperately - only if I upgrade my FCP version which is not an option for me. Any small bone tossed my way would be greatly appreciated... even if just to tell me I am screwed :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]