FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using offline clips for sound editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

John Pastuch
Using offline clips for sound editing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:57:57 am

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but since I edited my film in FCP and it's concerning frame rates...

OK, so I've been editing a movie I shot on the DVX100 in 24pA mode. I did everything in FCP correctly, on the correct timeline, and got a 24p end product (and yes, I edited on a 23.98 timeline).

So, when it came time to export a picture for sound editing in Reaper, what I did was export a high quality .mov from the timeline. Then, I took that .mov and converted it to a smaller, lower quality .avi that would run fast on my PC (I had to edit the sound on a PC, but the picture on a Mac, unfortunately).

So, when it prompted me for the frame rate of the avi, I entered "23.976" because I wanted to be as exact as possible.

I imported the .avi into Reaper, went frame by frame, and saw that each second on the counter had 24 frames exactly. To be double sure, I put together 30 secs of sound fx work using Reaper, exported it as a high-quality WAV, then imported the WAV into FCP to see if it matched up frame by frame...and it did.

But I happened to look at the properties of the .avi the other day and noticed the frame rate read "23 fps". Now, I know each second in my Reaper timeline counter 24 frames starting at zero each time, but I was wondering if I should be worried about this...when exporting from something like MPEG streamclip, I should be using 23.976 and letting the software round however which way, no? Or should I have put 24fps? Does any of this really make a difference? Will my sync eventually be off using this reference .avi?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Using offline clips for sound editing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:26:00 pm

Certainly doesn't sound right. You'll have to do your testing with longer pieces than 30 seconds.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]