FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing to FCP 7 from older Sony Handycam, DCR-HC32

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Van Veen
Capturing to FCP 7 from older Sony Handycam, DCR-HC32
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:22:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to capture footage to FCP 7 that I didn't shoot and I'm having a tough time. It was shot apparently on an XDCAM in SD. I tried capturing through my Canon XH-A1, but it won't even play the footage back correctly. So now I am trying through my parents older Sony Handycam. It plays correctly, but I cannot find a capture setting in FCP that will work with the camera.

Any ideas?

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Capturing to FCP 7 from older Sony Handycam, DCR-HC32
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:47:07 am

It must be a tape if you have it playing in your Canon and Sony cameras.XDCam is a file format not a tape based format and if you are seeing an image on the handycam, then it is DV codec.

Change your Canon to play and output DV via firewire and capture from that camera. make sure your capture settings are also DV

Return to posts index

Mike Van Veen
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:49:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

The tape won't play properly in my Canon, or else I would just use it. It's very jumpy and distorted and if I try and capture it stops after 2 seconds. It does the same thing in a consumer JVC Mini DV camera I tried. But it will play properly in the Sony oddly enough.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 1:59:03 am

What happens when you select the DV easy setup and plug the camera in via firewire?

Return to posts index

Mike Van Veen
on Dec 2, 2010 at 2:39:04 am

Nothing. I get a DV In message on the camera, so I know it's connected, but FCP tells me it cannot connect via firewire. I've tried a bunch of different combinations via Easy Setup and Audio/Video setup to no avail.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:28:23 am

There are so many cameras out there so finding one that FCP can't see is not surprising. You might have to borrow a more common camera like a PD 150 or Z1 HDV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]