FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Codecs in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Lehnert
Avid Codecs in FCP
on Dec 1, 2010 at 7:46:18 pm

I get Quicktimes using Avid codecs from time to time. Files that use the Uncompressed Meridian Codec or DNXHD. They play poorly in Final Cut Pro. I usually re-render the files to uncompressed for ProRes. Is this the correct workflow? Do the Avid codecs not play out to tape well?

Can a Quicktime using say the DNX codec be imported into the Avid without recompression?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Codecs in FCP
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:11:41 pm

[Eugene Lehnert] " Do the Avid codecs not play out to tape well? "

To play out to tape you need to convert the files to an FCP codec. You can work with the Avid QT files, but they might be a tad sluggish...nothing major in my experience. But you can't monitor them on an external monitor with any capture card (needs to be an FCP codec for that to work), nor can you output them. Just Media Manage and RECOMPRESS the final sequence when you are ready to output.

[Eugene Lehnert] "Can a Quicktime using say the DNX codec be imported into the Avid without recompression?"

Via AMA...with MC5...absolutely. But older versions don't work with QT files, so you need to import and convert them to MXF files.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:18:00 pm

Shane-

Thanks for responding. Good to know. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Sometimes I get Avid Quicktimes that a client merely wants put to tape. I can see them in FCP but I can never output them without rendering. We have MC5 here from what I understand. So in the future I should be able to import them straight into MC5 and play them out to tape without a recompression? An editor mentioned he has a soft import function? Do I need to know the exact compression that was used to do this?

Thanks again!

Eugene

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:21:33 pm

[Eugene Lehnert] "We have MC5 here from what I understand. So in the future I should be able to import them straight into MC5 and play them out to tape without a recompression?"

Yes...Import them via Avid Media Access...AMA. YOu can use that to import all sorts of things, like ProRes too. H.264 from Canon (although that is sluggish), Red...natively.

[Eugene Lehnert] "An editor mentioned he has a soft import function?"

Yup...AMA.

[Eugene Lehnert] "Do I need to know the exact compression that was used to do this? "

ALWAYS helps to know what codec you are being given.

So, you have the DX hardware for the Avid? Then why were you asking about exporting Avid codecs using FCP?

Shane

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:28:26 pm

The DX hardware is used for DNx compression and decompression? We are able to encoded DNx MXF files into the Avid from what I understand.

I was asking about bringing Quicktime files that use Avid Codecs into Final Cut Pro. Clients give them to me a lot and I always recompress them. I was looking for a way to avoid this.

A lot of these Quicktime files tend to have raised or crushed blacks. I'm assuming this an error in the Quicktime output out of the Avid. The client is not checking the proper 0-255 or 16-235 option when they output.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:36:48 pm

[Eugene Lehnert] "The DX hardware is used for DNx compression and decompression?"

The DX hardware is used an I/O...capture/output hardware. Just like FCP has AJA, Matrox, Decklink, MOTU. If you want to capture from or output to tape on an Avid, you need the DX hardware. (well, until recently...new drivers for the MXO2 line allow capture to DNxHD Qt files!)

[Eugene Lehnert] " We are able to encoded DNx MXF files into the Avid from what I understand. "

Yeah..totally. Tapeless you don't need the hardware. You need it when going to or coming from tape. Since you said you needed to layback the clients footage to tape, from MC5, I assumed you had the hardware to do it. I guess not?

[Eugene Lehnert] "I was asking about bringing Quicktime files that use Avid Codecs into Final Cut Pro. Clients give them to me a lot and I always recompress them. I was looking for a way to avoid this. "

You can work with them all you want. But if you want to output to tape from FCP...you need to recompress. And there are other methods that Automatic Duck...but if they give you the raw MXF files from the Avid. I prefer this a lot.

[Eugene Lehnert] "A lot of these Quicktime files tend to have raised or crushed blacks. I'm assuming this an error in the Quicktime output out of the Avid. The client is not checking the proper 0-255 or 16-235 option when they output."

There is a huge GAMMA issue between Avid and FCP...and arguements about who is at fault. What I tend to do is fix the gamma when I import...do an all over correction to adjust for it. But, this is why I prefer to use Automatic Duck too. Pretty much avoid that.

Shane

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:41:11 pm

Yeah we have the DX hardware. So it looks like I should have them send DNx Quicktimes over the to Avid for proper output in the future.

Thanks Shane.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:47:27 pm

Stick to using one NLE if you can. If you have the Avid and the hardware...use that.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]