FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finalcut Multiclip with Breaks in Timecode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Headrick
Finalcut Multiclip with Breaks in Timecode
on Nov 30, 2010 at 4:36:25 am

I am a student who is using MultiClip for the first time. I had three cameras for an event, one on a tripod and two free roaming cameras. The tripod camera has one break in the tape. The other two were stopped and started consistently throught the event. How do i combine the three different camera feeds?

All cameras were on Freerun TC and I used a flash to create a sync point. Please help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Finalcut Multiclip with Breaks in Timecode
on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:12:29 am

You don't MULTICLIP...you can't. It won't deal with the many breaks like this. If you want to multiclip you need to NOT start and stop consistently.

You can use PLURAL EYES to sync up the cameras (great app that does this automatically, based on audio). Or you can do it manually...stacking the clips on a timeline and decreasing their SCALE so you can see all of them at once.

But I highly recommend Plural Eyes if you started and stopped a lot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:50:50 am

I was going to say exactly the same things Shane said. Keep in mind if you want to use PluralEyes, it's sound based, so you best have reasonably similar and otherwise decent audio on all cameras that you hope to sync.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:09:52 am

Actual there is a reasonable way to fix the clips to use multi-cam, IF the camera's TC was set on Free Run and not Record Run. Cameras do not have to match each others TC.

For each camera you note the beginning TC of the first clip. Then you change the starting TC to match the clips start. Place the clip into the timeline and then add in each clip from that camera matching the TC between the clip and sequence. SO anywhere the camera was stopped there will be a black hole. When you have all the clips from the single camera in its own sequence you export using "Current Settings" and make it self contained. Do this for each camera. You will use these new clips to make your multicam clip. You will have to find a common in point to sync them up.

IF you do not have Free Run TC then see Shane and David's post.

But either way kick the camera guys in the butt. You NEVER stop a camera when you plan to do a multicam

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 30, 2010 at 1:08:56 pm

Hi James,

Just to expand on Michael's point, there is a quicker way of doing what he suggests (as long as all cameras recorded free run TC)...

In the browser select all clips from Cam A, right click and choose Make Multiclip Sequence. This will place all of your clips into a sequence with blank gaps where the camera wasn't recording.

Do the same for Cam B etc until you have one sequence representing each camera angle.

From here there are a few options:
1. Copy and paste Cam B, C, etc onto the Cam A sequence so that each angle sits on top of each other. You should have one stream/layer representing each camera. Sync each stream manually using your sync flash, making sure to adjust the position of ALL clips in the stream.
Now you can do it the old fashioned way and scale and reposition each clip so you see all at the same time OR you can render out the streams for a proper multiclip. For this option, see below...

2. After creating the multiclip sequences, make a slug (blank gap of video) and render it as a self-contained Quicktime, making sure it matches the settings of your camera files.
Then replace all of the gaps in your multiclip sequences with this slug.
Next, export a Quictime movie but DO NOT check 'Make movie self-contained'.
Do this for each angle, then import the Quicktime files you've created and sync them together in a 'master' sequence. Cut each angle so that the in point of each clip is your flash.
Select each angle in turn and press Shift+F.
Highlight each of the angles, right click and choose Make multiclip. Choose to sync by in point.

Note: The reason I said don't choose 'self contained' is so that your clips render out faster and don't take up huge amounts of storage. For this to work though you need to make sure you don't change the location of any of the files.

This is something I do regularly because no matter what, camera ops often can't grasp that I NEED them to keep their shots running to do a multiclip! Incidentally, I think I'm right in saying that Premiere can create multiclips with breaks in recording but maybe someone can confirm that as I've not tried it. Not sure about Avid.

All the best,
Alex

Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
Shot on RED, Post on FCP/Color: Short Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:53:35 pm

Alex -

Premiere can handle multi-clips because it's set up is to create a timeline with all clips laid out in sync on different tracks and use this timeline as the basis of the multi-clip. FCP is much quicker to create the multi-clips but PPRO is much more flexible.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:41:13 am

Premiere Pro multi-camera pros/cons

Anything can be a camera including another sequence
you can mix multiple formats/codecs as different cameras - no conforming to one codec.
By default you make camera 1, your master audio but you can choose to have audio follow video
no integrated double system sound for easy syncing of separate audio/video
only 4 cameras in Premiere Pro multicam

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:49:49 am

Thanks Herb and Dennis for clarifying. Herb, what do you mean when you say that Premiere is slower than FCP in setting up multiclips? Do you have to manually sync each shot or something??

Thanks,
Alex

Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
Shot on RED, Post on FCP/Color: Short Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:27:03 am

In Premiere Pro, you need to set up a sequence with your cameras and sync them. THEN you nest that sequence, tell Premiere Pro that it's a multi-cam sequence and edit. It's a two step process so set up is a little more involved.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Dec 2, 2010 at 2:02:00 pm

You guys should check out the multiclip workflow for Edius ... its superb. Just throw your clips in a timeline and press "Multcam" (F5). Bingo, you're working. Works with whatever's in the timeline or optionally a subset of whatever's in the timeline. Very very easy process.

Not that you were asking ... I'll shut up now.
Andy

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 2, 2010 at 2:42:29 pm

I agree that Edius' multi-cam process is pretty nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]