FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98 to 59.94 HDCAM with Kona Pulldown and Dolby e ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Higgins
23.98 to 59.94 HDCAM with Kona Pulldown and Dolby e ?
on Nov 28, 2010 at 2:06:47 pm

Hi Folks,

Got an odd one here. I'm European based so delivering 59.94 is new to me.

I'm using Final Cut Pro with a Kona Card outputting picture and 4 tracks of audio (Stereo mix on 1&2 and Dolby e on 3&4). Using the Kona to do the pulldown everything is OK with the picture and the stereo sound but the Dolby e is messed up.

When we "listen" to the e direct from the Kona card it meters and sounds fine but once we put it through the Sony HDCAM deck it's just clicking.

My question is - Can 3:2 Pulldown affect the Dolby e ?

Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Joseph Bradley
Re: 23.98 to 59.94 HDCAM with Kona Pulldown and Dolby e ?
on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:50:08 am

Are you delivering an NTSC project.If so is your system set up to deliver PAL? If so you need to change the settings for NTSC and then try the conversion. If you're not then I don't know the answer but when I worked on FCP systems I used to talk to AJA all the time and a call to them is always free. Except for the toll charges of course, they are in Grass Valley, Ca. USA.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:53:46 am

[Bill Higgins] "Can 3:2 Pulldown affect the Dolby e"

Why use Dolby e? You're going to tape, correct? Have you ever known a tape that can work with Dolby e?

Glad you found the sweet spot in terms of frame rate: 23.976 (aka 23.98) and 59.94 are quite compatible: you get a natural 3:2 pulldown.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:10:14 am

There must be an issue with using SDI emdebbed audio when changing cadence. Try sending the audio via the AES/ EBU outputs to the Deck and see if that fixed the problem.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:41:16 pm

This is unfortunately a simple answer: you need a separate 29.97fps Dolby E encoded file. Dolby E is coded in video frames. If the encoded file you have is at 23.976fps, then it'll play back on a 23.976fps tape, but won't work on a 29.97fps tape. You need to have this file re-encoded.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:43:33 pm

also - the HDCAM's channels that you are recording Dolby E data to must be set to "Data" mode, which will disable the automatic bit rate/sample rate converter. Try that first...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]