FORUMS: list search recent posts

1024x576 WMV to FCP to DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Powerass
1024x576 WMV to FCP to DVD
on Nov 28, 2010 at 9:05:50 am

Hey all,
I have a client sending me .wmv video files of corporate presentations - including video and PowerPoint slides - that they want to edit and then distribute via DVD (NTSC). As some of the PowerPoint text is already small I'm concerned about maintaining the quality throughout the edit to keep it readable.
The files are 1024x576. I tried putting them directly into FCP and dropping them into a sequence (I have flip4mac installed, so it recognized the file). Rather than the sequence asking if it should adapt to my file's settings it just remained a 1280x720 Prores sequence and needed 14 hours to render - it's a two hour clip. (I see there's no 1024x576 preset.) I left it overnight and it looks OK, but I'm worried that after an export, compression and a burn it may not maintain.
I dropped it into Compressor and put a Prores preset on it. It's a 729.5 MB file and the estimated file size was 58 GB. I understand there's going to be an increase in size, but files that big may cause more trouble than they're worth.
I'd like to use Compressor to get it to a file that FCP prefers so I can work on editing one while the next one compresses. But what's the best compression/format/settings to use?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 1024x576 WMV to FCP to DVD
on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:03:33 am

[Kenny Powerass] "The files are 1024x576. I tried putting them directly into FCP and dropping them into a sequence (I have flip4mac installed, so it recognized the file)."
Wrong.
drop the movie on a DV (720x480) NTSC Anamorphic sequence (Prores) and that's all.
Export a self contained movie and import to Compressor.
Apply an NTSC DVD preset according with the length of the movie.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: 1024x576 WMV to FCP to DVD
on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:53:41 am

Don't know if this is any help but 1024 x 576 is the square pixel resolution of SD PAL 16.9.

Might be worth trying an Uncompressed 8 bit PAL project and then converting that to NTSC with Compressor or the Nattress Standards Conversion filter.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]