Another Senior Moment: Forgot the Settings
on Nov 26, 2010 at 8:56:46 pm

Hello,
Hope you all had a GREAT Thanksgiving.
Now for the indigestion.

My videocamera is a Panasonic AG-HMC-150P
The recording format is set to PH 1080/30P

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
FCP is installed on a MacPro with 3T of storage.

I had the Capture setting at Panasonic DVCPro HD.
The sequence set to Apple Pro Res 422.

For some reason today I thought that such setting was wrong.
The machine needs a lot of rendering on almost anything I did before, although I answered "Yes" about resetting prior to sending the first clip to the Timeline.

Today I changed the capturing setting to Apple Pro Res 422 which matched the Sequence's setting and I was please when the program did not asked me if I wanted to match clip to sequence when I sent the first clip to the Timeline. It though my change was correct.

BUT, as I edited, the audio faltered, the video did too.
I am accustomed to the video not showing a smooth presentation, but was surprised to hear the audio having problems.

Just to make sure I was not totally wrong, rendered what I had edited up to a point and the audio and video seem to work fine.

Continued working and then rendered the whole sequence and was surprised to find that for a 20 minutes production, it needed close to two hours of rendering.

Once rendering was finished, playedback the sequence and the same video & audio problems were back.

I decided to make a movie. The machine just finished creating it, thanks God sound and pix are OK.

So, the question is:
Are my settings correct at Apple Pro Res 422, or should I keep that just for the Sequence/Timeline and go back to Panasonic DVCPro HD for capturing... or is there a much better setting for FCP based on my camera setting?

Thanks for your help and cooperation.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Another Senior Moment: Forgot the Settings
on Nov 26, 2010 at 11:34:59 pm

As a general rule, it is best to match clip and sequence settings. You can always drop the final into a ProRes sequence for the final render, but matching settings throughout the edit will minimise rendering.

There are exceptions to this rule and complex mixed format timelines that have HDV or other GOP codecs would be the exception, but not DVCPro100HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]