FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed footage Timeline for WEB and DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Genny Holt
Mixed footage Timeline for WEB and DVD
on Nov 26, 2010 at 3:03:14 pm

Hi there, I have over the years gotten a lot of help from the knowledgeable replies to other people's questions and now hopefully someone can help me with mine.

I am starting the post production work on a new documentary project (lots of cool looking footage from South Africa). Our crew went out with two different cameras and have therefor come back with two different footage formats.

HQ 1920/60i shot on the Sony EX1R and DVCAM shot on the Sony HVR-Z1N

I am working in FCP 6 and the final output for the project is 10 five minute movies for the WEB and DVD (all in a 4x3 format).

This will be my first time using HD footage.

In all of our previous projects shot on DVCAM and BetaCam I have logged and captured from our decks with an AJA Kona into DV/DVCPRO - NTSC clips.

So knowing that the final output is going to be Web and DVD (4x3), here are my questions:

1. When I log and transfer the HD footage from the BPAV files what should my Capture Preset be and what should my preferences be set to in log and transfer.

2. Shall I continue to log and capture the DV footage with the same settings as before?

3. What would the best Sequence settings be? Frame size, Aspect ratio, field dominance and quicktime video settings?

I know there have been lots of posts about mixed footage timelines but most are about up converting DV for an HD 16x9 output. So I thought I'd ask my question as the circumstances seem slightly different.

Any advice you can give would be great, thanks. Genny

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Mixed footage Timeline for WEB and DVD
on Nov 26, 2010 at 5:13:22 pm

Is your DVCAM footage in 4X3 or 16X9? If it is 16X9 I would recomend keeping your project at 16X9. Is there a reason you want to change it to 4X3?

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Genny Holt
Re: Mixed footage Timeline for WEB and DVD
on Nov 26, 2010 at 7:46:03 pm

Yes our DVCAM footage is in 4x3.

Also we have a very extensive library of footage from our past productions shot all around the world and I know we will be pulling shots from there for this project. All our old stock is in 4x3.

This is a transition project. The end out put of this project is destined to be 4x3 but we wanted to shoot HD with our new camera to begin the process of building up a new library of footage in HD.

Hopefully our future projects will be in HD 16x9 but for the moment this client wants the the new movies to mach the previous series of 4x3 ones we made for them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]