FORUMS: list search recent posts

Captured 32kHz, 12 bit audio at 48kHz, 16 bit...whoops...should I worry

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Smith
Captured 32kHz, 12 bit audio at 48kHz, 16 bit...whoops...should I worry
on Nov 25, 2010 at 4:31:31 pm

Hi all

I've captured a bunch of clips (45 min or so each) from DVCam, and kind of ignored the warning that has popped up after completion (about the sample rates being different). Now after investigating, I've found the tapes have 4 channel audio, meaning it'll be at 32kHz, 12 bit, although I captured at the default (48kHz, 16bit).

I've checked these forums and found a way to properly capture from here on, but should I go back and re-capture the 5 or 6 tapes I've done until now? I don't notice a huge audio/video loss of sync or drift, although a slight one is observable. These clips will be used exclusively online, so I'm wondering whether not re-doing them will result in any issues down the line?

Shall I just leave them, or bite the bullet and re-capture 5 hours or so of footage at the right rate....?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Captured 32kHz, 12 bit audio at 48kHz, 16 bit...whoops...should I worry
on Nov 25, 2010 at 5:14:56 pm

I personally would bite the bullet...

Hey, it's all automatic since you've already logged.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:11:41 pm

I agree with Jerry, but I'll be more definitive... Recapture properly or you'll be in for a world of hurt. You'll find lip sync is off, which you would only notice if you start cutting long takes on the timeline.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

James Smith
on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:01:08 pm

Thanks guys.

I just recaptured, I set the DSR-11 to 32bit, and made a capture preset DV NTSC 32Khz 16bit, also set the Playback Output Audio option to 12 bit 32kHz......

And now the sync is totally out! How strange...

When I captured at 48khz, 16bit, it was hardly noticeable...

Any ideas? HELP!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]