FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another mixed format timeline question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bonnett
Another mixed format timeline question
on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:11:04 am

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help given.

I've just inherited an FCP project to finish off that I think is a bit of a mess as far as footage goes. As usual time is tight and it appears to have amalgamated a number of possible problems.

The majority of the footage is HD 1080p at 25fps. Some of it off an EX3 and some off a Panasonic DSLR. This footage has all been conformed to ProRes and edited in a ProRes Timeline. So far so good. However it has been edited in an SD timeline with the following settings

Frame Size: 720x576
Pixel Aspect: PAL - CCIR 601
Field Dom: None
Frame rate: 25fps

This has been done because although the majority of the footage is HD the client apparently came in later and wanted to ad some pre existing footage for more variety. This was a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 SD DV, PVCPRO, and Uncompressed 8bit which needed to work both full screen and split screen also some of the HD footage has been 'Ken Burnsed" within the smaller frame.

Due to this I don't think it's particularly practical to go back to a Full HD timeline and worry about rescaling and repositioning all the split screens etc. Would you agree?

The final delivery is online and DVD and my main concern is the mixing of interlaced SD and Progressive HD footage (I'm sorry I know that this gets dealt with a lot) would I be best using compressor (I don't have access to the Nattress filters etc) to create progressive versions of these clips to replace the interlaced ones in the timeline so that ultimately I have a film composed of completely progressive clips and then just create an MPEG for the DVD with no field dominance set in Compressor or am I better off just using an interlaced timeline.... although on this note there are a number of speed ramps on the progressive HD footage would forcing interlacing on to this be a problem?

Thanks all and sorry that it's a long post for what hopefully is a fairly straight forwards couple of answers.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Another mixed format timeline question
on Nov 25, 2010 at 7:11:36 pm

[Jack Bonnett] "The final delivery is online and DVD and my main concern is the mixing of interlaced SD and Progressive HD footage"
No problem if the sequence is Interlaced.
You can fallow an interlaced workflow without problem.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]