FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Camera issues - Sony Bloggie with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Taylor
New Camera issues - Sony Bloggie with FCP
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:38:50 pm

Hello,
I recently purchased a Sony Bloggie camera and am having issues with playback in the sequence in FCP.
If I render the video it will allow me to play back but any edits that I make causes me to have to render again.
I never had these issues with my old DV tape camera (granted it wasn't HD fancy-shmancy).

I checked the Sony/Bloggie clip settings and made sure my audio/video settings matched in the Easy Setup screen for FCP.

These are my clip settings:
Vid Rate: 59.94 fps
Frame Size: 1280x720
Compressor: H.264
Data Rate: 620.2 K/sec

Any suggestions on what I can do in my settings to move things along faster?

Many thanks,
Sarah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Camera issues - Sony Bloggie with FCP
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:58:41 pm

Convert all of the footage to ProRes LT. H.264 is NOT an editing codec. Search the forums for "h.264" and see...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:58:46 pm

H.264 is not an editing codec in FCP at this point. You must transcode, preferably to ProRes 422. There's a Compressor preset that works great for that, and you can create a droplet from it that will batch many files, rename them to your specs, and put them in the original folder or any other you specify, all automatically.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Sarah Taylor
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:25:42 pm

Ah-ha! I think I figured out my issue. I had these files stored on an external hard drive and I think that was causing the delay.
I saved the files to the Mac and things seem to be moving at a much faster pace.

Thanks for all of your help!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:06:58 pm

[Sarah Taylor] "Ah-ha! I think I figured out my issue. I had these files stored on an external hard drive and I think that was causing the delay.
I saved the files to the Mac and things seem to be moving at a much faster pace."

No, the external was not the issue unless it was a 5400 RPM drive.

As others have noted, the H.264 is the issue. If you want to edit natively with that file type, you're best using Avid or Premiere at this point, or even iMovie.

FCP does not edit H.264 natively. It may work for a while, but at some point, your system will get very unstable and start crashing.

You need to convert the H.264 to ProRes in order to have a stable, fast edit in FCP 7

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sarah Taylor
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:09:06 pm

Hi Walter,

Yes, I am noticing FCP crashing a lot more frequently.
I tried using Compressor to convert the files to ProRes but it took FOREVER and they actually lost quality.

What I keep telling myself is that the point of buying a small camera like this was to make life easier - SD card versus logging tape; HD for better quality; small size so I'll use it more often.
I'm annoyed that I can't just plug it in and start editing and now have to jump through the compressor hoop.

Can I hire and pay you to hold my hand through this process in figuring out how to use Compressor because that's obviously where my issue is...

Or, do you think the new, cheaper version of FCP will work with H.264?

Return to posts index

Louis Durra
on Apr 23, 2011 at 2:05:56 pm

I just converted Bloggie files to ProRes 422 files with Compressor. Files are much, much larger - a 1920 × 1080 file that was 660MB transcoded to an 8GB file. Does that sound about right?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:37:21 pm

[Louis Durra] "I just converted Bloggie files to ProRes 422 files with Compressor. Files are much, much larger "

ProRes 422 29.97 at 1080i60 is approximately 76Gb per hour. So, figure it out for yourself... I'd be willing to bet the file you transcoded was about 11-mins. Right?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Louis Durra
on May 2, 2011 at 5:25:30 am

you're correct. Thanks for the fb, David.

Return to posts index

James Disch
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00:30 pm

Hi Sarah,

Final Cut Pro doesn't play nice with the H.264 codec. For optimal performance I would transcode the file to Apple ProRes.

James
http://www.rapidlightproductions.com

http://www.rapidlightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Taylor
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:38:39 pm

Thanks for the input. I had completely forgotten about Compressor.
I tried it out on one clip and converted to "Apple ProRes 422 for Progressive" and then imported in to FCP.
Still having same issues. - Same issues being the scary red bar above my clip in the sequence and the fact that the audio works great but the video lags behind or doesn't move at all.

Any suggestions on other formats?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:07:10 pm

Now...you need to make sure that the sequence settings and the clip settings match. Best way is to take that ProRes clip, cut it into a NEW FRESH sequence, and click YES when FCP asks if you want the settings to match.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]