FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using EOS Movie Plug-In correctly with 5D H264s in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Using EOS Movie Plug-In correctly with 5D H264s in FCP7?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:57:58 pm

Hello- Running FCP 7.0.3 on a 2.93 GHZ dual quad core. Basically a novice FCP user trying to figure out my Canon 5D/H264 workflow, particularly using log and transfer to transcode/ingest.

So downloaded the EOS Movie Plug-In and FCP seems to recognize - log and transfer preferences show "Canon E1/EOS Movie" on source side format, and full Apple Pro Res array of codecs on Target Format. But when I attempt to add the individual H264s files off an external drive via the "add volume" button, all the individual H264 files are grayed out. So I tried opening the folder they live in and get "unsupported media/invalid file structure" prompt. Also, cleared out all pre-existing media in browser and tried again and still grayed out. Also tried directly importing and it didn’t work.

Original files are 5DMark2 created 1080 29.97p H264 originals. Do I need a more specific plug-in? Is there an add file as opposed to add volume tool I should be using? Would love to use FCP's log and transfer tool to transcode rather than use another/3rd party app.

Would love any good ideas soon.

Thanks,

Nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Using EOS Movie Plug-In correctly with 5D H264s in FCP7?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:07:38 pm

[Nick Ravich] "when I attempt to add the individual H264s files off an external drive via the "add volume" button, all the individual H264 files are grayed out."

It sounds like the CF card may not have been correctly backed up with the correct card structure. Watch this tutorial as it clearly shows the workflow you want and talks about best ways to archive cards BEFORE they are re-used.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

And a thanks to Shane once again for such a useful tutorial

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:12:41 pm

Michael beat me to the punch...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:30:45 pm

Thanks Michael. Just responded to Shane about this. Nick.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:12:05 pm

This is the proper workflow...tutorial: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

You can't target individual files...nor the folder that contains them. You need to target the MAIN folder that you backed up the full CF card onto. Watch the tutorial.

Shane

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:29:58 pm

Thanks Shane.

Yes, for this particular batch of 5D files, basically created new folders for each new CF card, and selected and dragged files at finder level from the card into these new folders. Then created a larger shoot day folder they all lived in. (Not best practices I know but HDSLR novice producer was doing the media managing.)

Am I beyond the point of being able to use log and transfer to transcode these files? Can I somehow recreate that original CF card structure? Or should I just transcode this particular batch in compressor and follow proper procedure with next batch.

Nick.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:33:24 pm

Did you copy over EVERYTHING? The entire card structure? Or just the MOV files? If you just did the MOV files, you are outta luck. Best bet now is Compressor or Magic Bullet Grinder or ClipWrap 2. But none of them will get you the unique timecode...that is part of the THM files in the original structure.

Shane

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:03:46 pm

Well I know the associated .THMs were copied, and obviously the H264s - and my folder structure at least mimics the original CF cards (ie just one set of CF card files that were put in one new folders, I didn't put the files from multiple CF cards in one folder.) Was my very first 5D shoot well, so not really sure what an original CF card file structure looks like (don't have the original cards anymore.) Any chances now?

Presumably in future in field I'll want to transfer from CF card to external drive using Disk Image function in Disk Utility app or ShotPut pro.

Nick.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:51:42 am

I'd try this plug and bypass the EOS plug altogether:

http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/

"The main problem with all this is that you have to trust your NLE or compositing app to do a good job of performing the YCbCr to RGB conversion. Many programs use QuickTime internally to perform YCbCr to RGB conversion which, according to our testing, does only a mediocre job."

Jon

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:02:50 am

[jon smitherton] " I'd try this plug and bypass the EOS plug altogether:

http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/"

Looks interesting. Is it compatible with Snow Leopard? Can you set a reel number when converting?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]