FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX3 24p Project Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyler boudreau
Sony EX3 24p Project Question
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:47:08 pm

Footage shot on Sony EX3 at 24p per DP. When I view the clip settings in the Sony XDCAM Browser it reports a frame rate of the typical 23.98 but a format of 59.94i. So...I'm a bit confused on how to set my project settings before doing log and transfer.

Should I do capture presets at DVCPRO HD 1080i/60 or DVCPRO HD 720p/24?

And guess the same question for sequence although I'm assuming FCP will do the typical correct match once clips are imported correctly.

THANK YOU!!!

*Update - I set the capture presets to the 1080/60 setting and imported a clip. Checked settings and the clip does report 23.98 so I'm guessing that was okay? And the 720/24 selection is for film or something?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony EX3 24p Project Question
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:24:00 pm

[kyler boudreau] "the Sony XDCAM Browser it reports a frame rate of the typical 23.98 but a format of 59.94i."

The frame rate IS 23.98...but the XDCAM format...the type of data stream...is 59.94. Just how the format is...but the frame rate you shot was 23.98...so use 23.98.

[kyler boudreau] "Should I do capture presets at DVCPRO HD 1080i/60 or DVCPRO HD 720p/24?"

NO...you didn't shoot DVCPRO HD. You shot XDCAM. You choose the XDCAM settings that match. But FCP 6 and 7 will make the sequence settings match automatically when you drop in the first clip.

[kyler boudreau] "And guess the same question for sequence although I'm assuming FCP will do the typical correct match once clips are imported correctly."

What you said.

[kyler boudreau] "And the 720/24 selection is for film or something?
"

It is for when you shoot 720p/23.98. There are flavors of AVCHD, HDV and DVCPRO HD that shoot that format.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kyler boudreau
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:49:31 pm

1) Question - I thought AV capture settings in FCP would affect how the footage was logged and transferred, but am I wrong in thinking that? Do they just apply to tape ingest?

2) Before your responses I had set it to DVCPRO HD, but when I logged/transferred everything it seems to be correct showing XDCAM EX 1080 as the compressor. So that's right correct? Or should I redo everything?

3) Also, the DP seems to have shot things in 29.97 and 23.976. I don't think that will be a time line problem, but should I set the time line to one over the other? Final output of this is online web and DVD.

4) Do I really have to do that Compressor redo to ProRes? This is a ten minute long promo type project. But I still don't want quality degradation. Can I just render in ProRes and be okay?

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:06:43 pm

[kyler boudreau] "1) Question - I thought AV capture settings in FCP would affect how the footage was logged and transferred, but am I wrong in thinking that? Do they just apply to tape ingest?"

With tapeless you get what you shot. With footage you capture via firewire, you get what you shot. ONLY if you have a capture card, and capture from tape, can you change anything like codec and raster size. Tapeless always comes in the exact format you shot...

[kyler boudreau] "2) Before your responses I had set it to DVCPRO HD, but when I logged/transferred everything it seems to be correct showing XDCAM EX 1080 as the compressor. So that's right correct? Or should I redo everything?"

It doesn't matter what you have it set to...tapeless media will come in one of two ways. Natively, or converted to ProRes (ProRes if you use the LOG and Transfer option in FCP).

[kyler boudreau] "3) Also, the DP seems to have shot things in 29.97 and 23.976. I don't think that will be a time line problem, but should I set the time line to one over the other? Final output of this is online web and DVD."

Throttle your DP for doing that. Mixing frame rates on the timeline is HORRIBLE. FCP does not add or remove the pulldown properly. Instead of 2:3:3:2, it does 2:2:2:4...so a regular stutter is visible. Bad bad bad bad...

[kyler boudreau] "4) Do I really have to do that Compressor redo to ProRes? This is a ten minute long promo type project. But I still don't want quality degradation. Can I just render in ProRes and be okay?"

Yes...just use a ProRes sequence setting and all should be good. But now...that frame rate issue. That is what you'll need to use Compressor for...ugh.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kyler boudreau
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:57:47 pm

Thanks Shane. In film school I learned and cut on Avid in tape based work flows. FCP and file based together spawn a lot of questions. I'm like a new moron all over again. =)

Most of the footage is 29.97 so I'll just do a ProRes sequence based on that and worry about the 23.976 stuff later.

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Helps a ton.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:34:09 pm

I'm glad Shane got to this before I did!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]