FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing PC screen footage, software vs. hardware?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Capturing PC screen footage, software vs. hardware?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:41:44 am

For capturing screen footage, on a Mac I've used Quicktime X's screen capture which works really simply and the image is of good quality, albeit softened. For Windows captures, I've used Camtasia Pro which worked fairly well. A bit pricey with options I didn't really need, and it took some time to compress the captures afterward to something that I could import into FCP easily w/ good enough quality.

Does anyone have any insights? I figure the best way would be to use the second DVI port on the graphics card, set the resolution to 1080p, and use a DVI to HD-SDI converter. But if I were setting this up on a PC, I don't think that I could also use the same PC's capture card to ingest and capture that same feed at the same time, could I?

If anyone has any suggestions on the most current hardware or software solutions for a Windows box that can capture a high quality video feed (cheaper the better) please share. It doesn't have to have any additional features for editing, etc.--I just want basic capture functionality with the easiest workflow to eventually converting to ProRes for FCP cutting.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Capturing PC screen footage, software vs. hardware?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:48:22 pm

[Brad Bussé] "Does anyone have any insights? I figure the best way would be to use the second DVI port on the graphics card, set the resolution to 1080p, and use a DVI to HD-SDI converter. But if I were setting this up on a PC, I don't think that I could also use the same PC's capture card to ingest and capture that same feed at the same time, could I?

If anyone has any suggestions on the most current hardware or software solutions for a Windows box that can capture a high quality video feed (cheaper the better) please share. It doesn't have to have any additional features for editing, etc.--I just want basic capture functionality with the easiest workflow to eventually converting to ProRes for FCP cutting."

You could just use a DVI/HDMI and capture with any thing that accepts HDMI.
However there is a big question about the quality/standard that you may get that way.
To get a full specs video quality from your computer (at least from a Mac) you would need one of the usual pro solutions: AJA, Matrox, BM, Motu..
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]