FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editor using Premire Pro colorist using FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Editor using Premire Pro colorist using FCP 7
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:23:14 pm

I'm color correcting a short film and the editor is using Premiere Pro CS3 and sent me all of the clips (BPAV's) on a Hard Drive along with the EDL. I imported the EDL fine but when I go to reconnect all the media it doesn't work, it just crashes or it will let me select the clip and just doesn't do anything. I also noticed that he did not log and transfer the files he just used the .MP4 in the BPAV (it was shot on the EX-1) will that create the problem? Should he have MOV's or PC's equivalent?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Editor: Premiere Pro CS3
Me: Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Joseph Bradley
Re: Editor using Premire Pro colorist using FCP 7
on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:27:21 am

Can he get you an XML file sheet instead? I works a lot better than EDL.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:41:45 am

XML import came with Premiere Pro CS4
XML export came with Premiere Pro CS5

IF the editor was able to move to CS5, here's what I'd do:
1 - Use AME to batch convert the XDCAM (or is it avchd) media to ProRes maintaining same clip names
2 - assuming the sequence frame size was the same, I would offline the media and reconnect it to the ProRes clips with the same name.
3 - test, save and export FCP XML for color correcting.

With CS3 and FCP7, I don't see a real way to easily do this. Maybe automatic duck or something like that.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:46:20 pm

I'll see if I can get my hands on the XML, he was planning to go to CS5 after this project.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Nov 24, 2010 at 1:37:43 pm

Your problem is nothing to do with XMLs/EDLs. Final Cut can't use the MP4s in the BPAV file structure natively, so you have 2 options here. One is cheap and quick, the other slow and free.

Free option - download the Sony XDCam transfer tool, and use it to encode all the material to ProRes. Make sure the filenames are the same as your project filenames, and relink to the new media. You may have a few errors (potential for reel names to be off, etc) but it should go OK.

Quick option - use Calibrated Softwares XDCam plug-in, that enables FCP to work with MP4 files. I'm using this to reconnect media from someone editing roughcuts on Premiere as we speak. It's been fine, more or less, with the odd clip that it hasn't been able to link to in the timeline - the media is in the browser but the TL doesn't make the connection. I always get a reference movie from the editor so I can eye-match any shots that don't translate, but I've only had three or four in a fair number of sequences, so I'm happy with the workflow.

I don't know how the latter option would work with Color - I will be Media Managing the edit to a ProRes project with handles when it's time to send off to be onlined & graded, so you may wish to try beforehand and see if Color accepts the files as is...

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]