Final Cut to Compressor - Multiple clip export from Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremias Nussbaum
Final Cut to Compressor - Multiple clip export from Timeline
on Nov 22, 2010 at 2:40:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble understanding this:

In Final Cut Pro 5.04 I could send multiple clips to Compressor (2.0) from the same timeline by just changing the In and Out points, but when I tried the same with my clients version (Final Cut Pro 7 and Compressor 3.5) this didn't work. It only converts one of the clips.

Does anyone know if this is still supposed to work with the recent version of Final Cut?

What I want to do (in detail):
I want to convert separated clips and then send them to ftp from the timeline. My client cuts together some lengthy clips and then wants to export each cut version separately without having to create one timeline for each. This worked for me: Creating In and Out points, exporting to compressor, repeat this step as often as desired and then launch batch in compressor. This doesn't seem to work on my clients computer, though.

Does anyone still use this or another method?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Final Cut to Compressor - Multiple clip export from Timeline
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:40:24 pm

Yes, it works in the current version. Mark your In and Out points, make sure nothing is selected in the sequence, or select the sequence in the browser and export.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jeremias Nussbaum
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:50:02 pm

Many thanks for your rapid answer. Not sure though if I asked the question clearly enough.

I know that this works for one clip or for the whole sequence. My problem occurs when I want to export two different parts of the same sequence as two clips.

In Final Cut Pro 7, it exported only 1 of the 3 parts I sent to Compressor. Excuse me if you already answered that question. Just wanted to clarify in case.

Thanks again,
Jeremias Nussbaum

jeremias@miasmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:40:32 pm

You mean you want to send multiple slices of a sequence to Compressor all at once? There is no way to do this. Nor has this been possible in any version of FCP. You can only set one I/O in a sequence or clip at any one time. You can send items sequentially to Compressor, marking I/O sending, marking a new I/O and sending again. Or you can make multiple copies of the sequence and set different I/O in each and send them all to Compressor.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jeremias Nussbaum
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:55:38 pm

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure I did this in Final Cut Pro 5. Depends on what you mean by "sending", actually. I did set the I/O points, clicked on "export", compressor opened, and then I did the same thing again for each part of the sequence I wanted to export as an independent clip. I finally had X number of jobs in Compressor. Then I launched the "send" in compressor only once for all the clips.

Can I still do this? (With your help I finally got the question right.)

To be sure, I'll try to do it again with FCP 5. If it worked then, it should now, right?

Thansk for your insight.

jeremias@miasmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeremias Nussbaum
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:53:19 am

Hey there,

After further research, I found out that this actually worked in FCP 5 and doesn't anymore since FCP 7 doesn't interact the same way with compressor. I'm now trying the SHARE-function instead.

As fare as I know now it doesn't seem possible to define different parts of the same sequence as different sources with the SHARE-function, confirming what Tom wrote in the first place.

Still trying to find the best solution for a fast export to FTP for different clips (>20) from the same timeline. Someone had this problem and found a solution?

jeremias@miasmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:12:25 pm

Please point me to the research that shows that you could send multiple I/O from a single sequence to Compressor in an earlier version. I see no evidence of the veracity of this.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jeremias Nussbaum
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:37:11 pm

I did this on a PPC G5 with FCP 5.0.4 and Compressor 2.0.1 (german version) I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I found this hint here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/876075#876084

As I haven't found a satisfying work-flow for my client I will go back to that and post as soon as I find a way to do this properly.

Tom, I appreciate that you took your time to answer my half-baked questions.

Thanks,
Jeremias

jeremias@miasmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: How many files are inside one bin
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:56:57 pm

If you really prefer this method over a batch export you can still do using the Send to Compressor function. It's exactly what the old Compressor did. Each item is a separate batch and has to have the settings and destination applied and if they're coming from the same sequence have the names changed. I think it's much easier in batch export from duplicated sequences. The batch function will have one setting for all the exports, automatically add naming conventions, and send everything to an assigned location without doing it for each batch.

P.S. Just to add if you use the duplicate sequences route and use the Send to Compressor function they will all be added into the same Compressor batch.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jeremias Nussbaum
Re: How many files are inside one bin
on Nov 24, 2010 at 2:47:35 pm

Hey,

That's a great tip there. I'll try that. My main problem with the Send to compressor… is exactly that. He now creates a new batch for each part of the sequence.

Now I'll just have to create a setting and persuade my client that duplicating sequences is not a crime.

Thanks again,
Jeremias

jeremias@miasmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]