FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode issue w/ DVCPRO HD files originating from 5DMKII H.264s

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
Timecode issue w/ DVCPRO HD files originating from 5DMKII H.264s
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:13:50 am

I just cut an entire project with DVCPRO HD files that were transcoded from H.264 files from a 5DMKII. I had thought that timecode would be correctly applied to the DVCPRO HD files when they were transcoded from H.264 using Compressor, but am now running into issues.

When I go to media manage the project, the media managed version outputs the full master clips (unless those master clips had in and out points set) but refuses to just export the clips used in the sequence I am media managing. I did assign reel names to the master clips so I assume this is a timecode issue. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Timecode issue w/ DVCPRO HD files originating from 5DMKII H.264s
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:37:28 am

Log & Transfer will add a reel number and also convert the time stamp into timecode which is helpful for MM and recapture. Everyone here endorses the use of ProRes 422 for these conversion, not DVCProHD.

So by using Compressor you have lost timecode if you were planning to recapture via Log & Transfer. The other problem is no reel number so Media Manger can't delete unused media.

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:18:38 pm

Hmm.. well first, I know ProRes is the preferred format but I'm often intercutting with P2 based DVCPRO HD and haven't found any drawbacks to this workflow yet. Though media manager not being able to delete unused media is definitely a huge drawback.

I've manually added reel names which I thought would do the trick to allow media manager to delete unused media as I assumed compressor was adding timecode to the DVCPRO HD files. I do NOT need to recapture, just delete unused media.

I'm unsure what you mean about using Log and Transfer for these DVCPRO HD files .. I can not select DVCPRO HD files from the Log and Transfer window.

Any further advice would be very appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:39:16 pm

If you are not recapturing and matching to P2 footage then working in DVCProHD is OK as long as you don't need to recapture. Log & Transfer has the advantage of a reel number and timecode base to work from which is essential if you were working in a proxy format and wanted to Media Mange and recapture.

Shane Ross has done an excellent tutorial that outlines this wokflow and explains the advantages. http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]