FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Distortion on HD Monitors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandra McQuilkin
Color Distortion on HD Monitors
on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:45:34 am

I am working in Final CutPro 7 with DVCPro 720p60 footage. The video looks great on computer (via final cut, QT, or even played off dvd on computer) but both HD monitors I've played it on it looks like the colors are distorting and almost bleeding during rapid movement and edges get a little stairstepping. For example the whites get color artifacts on the edges during rapid movement and the red of my lips seems to linger momentarily after my face has moved position. I tried desaturating it a bit but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm wondering if it is some other setting related to frame rate etc...

I am not a professional editor and don't have access to the kind of setup for proper color correction but I've never had this kind of a problem before and I'm wondering if it is specific to the codec?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Distortion on HD Monitors
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:35:54 am

Well, how are you getting that image to your "HD monitor." And what sort of "HD monitor" are you using?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:00:03 pm

What shane said, how are you getting your image to an HD Monitor?

Also

What frame rate and codec did you shoot?

What frame rate and codec are you editing in?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alexandra McQuilkin
on Nov 22, 2010 at 2:11:28 pm

The monitor I'm testing on is just a small HD TV. I was testing the QTs on the monitor by using a Mini-Display to HDMI converter from my mac going into the monitor. I realize that the color fidelity will be wrong when playing a QT (or directly from the timeline.)

I shot and am editing in DVCPRO 720p60 with a frame rate of 29.97.

I am making my DVDs by exporting QT (no conversion) from the timeline, self-contained using current settings. I am then dropping that file into compressor and using MPEG-2 settings: Standard definition, NTSC 29.97, 16:9, Two Pass VBR: average bit rate 6.2, Max Bit rate 7.7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:22:25 pm

[Alexandra McQuilkin] "I was testing the QTs on the monitor by using a Mini-Display to HDMI converter from my mac going into the monitor."

Yeah...that won't get you full quality by any means. You are sending a computer signal to a video monitor. YOu need a capture card if you really want to see what it looks like without artifacts. Sorry.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]