FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard drive issue - please/thank you!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Sisson
Hard drive issue - please/thank you!
on Nov 21, 2010 at 10:41:34 pm

The firewire 800 from my macbook pro was disconnected while I was exporting a sequence last night.

When I reconnected my hard drive and reopened the project - it took so long (well over 30 minutes) to open that I force quit Final Cut and began diagnosing the issue.

To make a long story short - my external hard drive was searching for its files. . .found nothing. . .30 minutes later - file names, a few icons, some file previews. . .I open my project again - everything is ok - I try to save, Final Cut freezes, I force quit. . .As time goes by and I let the hard drive discover itself, the better things seem to work.

Should I just relax for a day and let my drobo hard drive do its thing??

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Hard drive issue - please/thank you!
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:28:37 pm

Drobos have their own system for redundancy and drive repair. I used one once for video editing and it drove me mad as it would often take a while to turn up on the desktop. They are designed more for backup and not for high speed data on video files, although I do believe they have models better suited to video.

There was some discussion and contribution from Drobo on this forum a while ago so it might be worth a search. Also contact Drobo if there is a problem with the self data recovery. I don't know if software like Disk Warrior is OK with a Drobo so ask them first in case it is a disaster to use third party drive recovery software.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:19:26 am

Backup your Drobo. Always

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:47:54 pm

Most external drives are just some kind of SATA drive with additional control electronics to allow the transfer of data from device to computer. They're pretty easy to make, too, but I won't get into that. Generally, I find that the drive case/controller itself and not the drive has gone bad. Not always.

Usually, if the data seems intact, allows you to open it, but loads really slow, it's a problem with the controller hardware (these are made sooooo cheap it ain't funny) and not the drive (if it were a problem with the drive, the data would be corrupt or non-existent). Try picking up a cheap drive case and swap cases out. They run like $25-40 for a cheap one with USB only so you can just check data. I use the Voyager Q to check drives (it's a cheap drive "toaster" that you can rapidly swap drives in and out of and it has multiple interfaces, but no cooling which is a big drawback) - http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php - I hook up a small desk fan for cooling if I'm going to be using it alot - just point the fan at the drive.

For those more concerned with how it looks, there are prettier drive enclosures and drive swappers out there, but they all do the same basic thing despite all the gosh neat features (I mean, a "backup button?" Really?). Beyond that, I'm a huge fan of LaCie drive cases. While I've had drives fail in them, they use the same drives everyone else uses which fail just as often as any other - Samsung, WD, etc., but I've never had the case fail. In fact, when the drive in my MacBook died, I was able to resurrect it in an old LaCie case and save all the data. Then I made the drive into art. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:26:51 pm

Jonathon, the Drobo drives use a totally proprietary redundancy system, so it isn't a typical RAID. Swapping the drives from a Drobo to another enclosure would be a disaster.

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
on Nov 25, 2010 at 2:21:01 am

You were actively using the disk and it was unplugged? This mean you never properly unmounted the file system. HFS+ is supposed to be a journaling file system which should help maintain consistency in these cases, but from my experience it's pretty poor. Any time you don't cleanly unmount a file system (eject the disk, clean system shutdown, etc), you should run a file system check and repair anything amiss.

For your firewire drive, you can use the Disk Utility GUI and run "Repair Disk" on the drive. You need to run the repair repeatedly until it comes back with no-errors. One pass may not get everything. You can also do this from the command line with either diskutil or straight with fsck (which is what diskutil actually uses). The man pages on diskutil and fsck can give you more information.

If you had to shutdown your Mac uncleanly (is that a word?) -- like pull the power -- you need to check the file system, of your boot disk. The trick is that you can't do this when it's mounted read/write, i.e., when the OS is running. You have two options here. (1) Boot to single user mode by holding down "command-S" when booting. This dumps you at a shell prompt and even gives you the syntax for the the fsck command. (2) Boot from your OS X DVD and run the GUI Disk Utility from there.

Hope that helps, and good look. Remember, you should always back up data to other media!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]