FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PVM-14L5/1 in Final Cut 6 / Canon 7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelley Cross
Sony PVM-14L5/1 in Final Cut 6 / Canon 7D
on Nov 21, 2010 at 7:36:00 pm

Greetings everyone,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ll probably get hammered for my ignorance -- forgive the neophyte -- but if you don’t ask, you don’t learn.

I’m a film guy making the transition to digital. I’ve recently bought:

Power Mac G5 Duo Core 2.5 Ghz
4.5 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

I’m capturing footage with a Canon 7D and editing HD 1080p ProRes 422 in FCP 6. Now I need to color grade using Apple Color 3.0

I think what I’m looking for is a Sony PVM-14L5. It seems this monitor will work for HD -- and as I don’t have the budget for an FSI monitor -- the Sony appears to be a good candidate. I also believe -- from what I could glean from the posts on this site -- that I will need a card like the Intensity Pro HDMI. Am I on the right track? Am I even close? Any input and direction would be appreciated.

Best,
Kelley Cross
http://www.julysun.com

Return to posts index

John Christie
Re: Sony PVM-14L5/1 in Final Cut 6 / Canon 7D
on Nov 21, 2010 at 10:58:37 pm

Hello Kelley

The Sony PVM L5 is an old-school standard def monitor. It's no good for colour correcting HD, but makes a great second monitor in a colour correcting set-up if you can view both an HD and SD monitor at the same time. That's what we use with our Koona 3 card, one output feeds a Panasonic HD monitor and one output feeds a Sony 20" SD monitor.

You will need some sort of HD monitor and an output card. Make sure the Intensity is compatible with your G5. Do not colour correct on a standard computer monitor if your project is for broadcast. The colour space is different between the computer world and the broadcast world.

Cheers

John C

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:14:01 pm

[John Christie] "The Sony PVM L5 is an old-school standard def monitor. It's no good for colour correcting HD"

Sorry, but you are wrong. I have that exact monitor, and I use it for color correcting HD myself. It is a Multi-format monitor...it works in SD, 720p HD and 1080i HD. Worked GREAT.

I too cannot afford an FSI just yet, and while I am saving up the money to do so, I am using this monitor with great success. Component into the monitor from the Decklink Intensity or the MXO2 mini (which I use with Avid) is perfectly acceptable. A much better image than a majority of HD LCDs out there...better blacks. The only drawback is the small screen size.

Unfortunately the Intensity is not compatible with your G5. There aren't any current cards out there that will work with that 4 year old computer...you'll have to try to find used cards. AJA Kona LH, Decklink HD. Or the REALLY EXPENSIVE AJA IO HD would work...it connects via FW800. As does the MOTU V4HD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kelley Cross
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:43:48 am

Thanks Shane,

Good -- so I’m not completely off the mark. Thanks so much for your input Shane. This leads me to 3 questions, then I think I can get out of everybody’s hair on this issue.

1 - Apparently my G5 accepts PCI-X. Would the DeckLink HD Pro DL PCI-X card work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/337461-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BDLKHDPR....

I have a line on a used one.

2 - Is there any reason that I could not use the Sony PVM-20L5/1 with the larger screen?

3 - You mentioned -- and it seems from my research -- that the monitor functions at 1080i. Does this mean that if my PCP project is 1080p, it will not display?

Thanks for you help -- I appreciate it.

Best,
Kelley Cross
http://www.julysun.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:20:28 am

[Kelley Cross] "1 - Apparently my G5 accepts PCI-X. Would the DeckLink HD Pro DL PCI-X card work? "

If it were still available...yes.

[Kelley Cross] "2 - Is there any reason that I could not use the Sony PVM-20L5/1 with the larger screen?"

If you have access to that monitor...TAKE IT. Same thing...multi format monitor...it does HD too.

[Kelley Cross] "3 - You mentioned -- and it seems from my research -- that the monitor functions at 1080i. Does this mean that if my PCP project is 1080p, it will not display?"

No...just 1080i is more common. It'll monitor 1080p. Decklink card might not...they are notorious for not supporting 1080p...well, at 30fps...29.97. THey do 1080p 23.98 just fine.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:53:44 am

I stand corrected, Shane. My monitor is an older "M" not an "L"

Return to posts index

Kelley Cross
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:16:55 am

Awesome. Thank you Shane. These are new and murky waters for me. To date, all of my color correction has been done on a Hazeltine. Your answers will save me much time and money. Great forum, great site.

Best,
Kelley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]