FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV firewire capture looks horrible

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david soriano
DV firewire capture looks horrible
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:39:56 pm

i am running FCP 7.03 and, for the first time, captured some DV footage shot on PD-170. The playback quality in FCP viewer/canvas is horrible. Of course there's the interlacing, which is to be expected, but the resolution is bad. Soft, uber-compressed footage is all i see. Nothing like what i get when editing same DV-type footage on Leitch Velocity 8. Of course there i can set compression rate, which i normally have set at 5-7Mb/sec. Here, in FCP, we are locked in to 3.6, right? Anyway, with the DV preset that gives 3.6 i am getting horrible results. It's like worse that S-VHS, down there with VHS quality. Will it look better once output to DVD/.mov file, or am i looking at what i am going to get? Also, is there a way to change the 3.6 Mb/sec data rate to something higher, or am i stuck with this preset?

What gives, am i doing something wrong?

thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: DV firewire capture looks horrible
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:46:32 pm

I'll bet you a zillion dollars that your canvas size is not set to exactly 100%. Wanna bet???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

david soriano
106%
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:59:48 pm

it helped, a bit. Have i been looking at HD footage (EX-1) for so long that i forgot how DV looked? Is 3.6 standard rate for DV? That's kinda low, no? Is there no way to customize the capture rate?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 106%
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:04:15 pm

You can pay with a check or with Paypal...

DV is set in stone. You are capturing the digital information as stored on tape, it's not a reduced bitrate.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

david soriano
Re: 106%
on Nov 16, 2010 at 9:15:21 pm

that's right...i knew that. With Velocity i never captured via firewire, only component using a DV deck, so i could set bit rate.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: DV firewire capture looks horrible
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:19:28 pm

[david soriano] " Nothing like what i get when editing same DV-type footage on Leitch Velocity 8. Of course there i can set compression rate, which i normally have set at 5-7Mb/sec"
That sounds to DV50.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]