FORUMS: list search recent posts

chroma key question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kai Mariah
chroma key question
on Nov 16, 2010 at 2:15:48 pm

Hi.
I'm creating an animation in DAZ Studio on a green screen, rendering it to a .mov file, and then bringing it into Final Cut Pro (v6).

When I bring in the .mov file, for the most part the green screen is already removed (almost like it's transparent). The only think I need to do is clean up around the edges of the object or figure that I've brought in.

Normally what I do is:
video filters>key>color smoothing 4:1:1 and then video filters>key>spill suppressor-green and it removed the green edges completely.

However, I'm having trouble getting all the green removed on a character that has red hair and a red cloak.

If I click on the chroma key first it brings in the green background and then I can't get rid of it at all.

How do I get rid of the green edges completely on my character with red hair and a red cloak?

Thanks.
Kai Mariah

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: chroma key question
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:05:02 pm

[Kai Mariah] "I'm creating an animation in DAZ Studio on a green screen, rendering it to a .mov file, and then bringing it into Final Cut Pro (v6)."

Do you not have the ability in this application to render to a quicktime codec that supports alpha channels, like ProRes 4444, PNG or Animation? Then you wouldn't have to resort to chroma key.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: chroma key question
on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:23:39 pm

We're really worried about creating a good matte, right? You cna use multiple iterations of the keyer, targeted tot he general background, and then to the edge area, that's one strategy. Another is to use the 3-way color corrector to really push the different levels around int he picture, and don;t worry that it makes the character look wrong-colored or anything. As long as it optimizes the matted area's level and contrast. Once you pull a good matte from that "ugly" color-corrected pass, use it on another track with the better-looking original, and maybe that solves your problem.

4:1:1 is bad to work in for chromakeying but you already know that. I would do this kind of work in Pro Res and then export the composited elements into whatever codec the rest of the project needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]