FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing VHS/SVHS to Final Cut Pro via other decks for TBC.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomkins
Capturing VHS/SVHS to Final Cut Pro via other decks for TBC.
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:52:53 am

Hi all

First up, please let me assure you I have tried to find some answers here and on other forums - I understand this question gets asked a lot, but I have a twist on it.

I have several VHS/SVHS tapes I need to capture. They are of varying quality.

I have a pro SVHS deck with SVIDEO out, which I am running directly through my Panasonic camcorder to FCP - pictures come through fine and I can use capture now...

However, I am having a lot of trouble with the audio going out of sync when there is a dropout. I understand this causes timing problems and I need a Time Base Corrector.

The guy who own the edit suite I work in said I should run the video through their Digi Beta deck or DVCPRO 50 deck.

When I do this (via composite inputs) the DVCPRO 50 deck picture flashes green every few seconds, and the DigiBeta deck does a really slow "roll" creeping up a pixel at a time every few seconds.

Is there something else I should be doing here? Should I be trying to feed the TC-OUT from my SVHS deck to these other decks? Or the SVHS deck has a SYNC output - does that do anything?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

BJ Ahlen
Re: Capturing VHS/SVHS to Final Cut Pro via other decks for TBC.
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48:21 pm

I didn't think there were any SVHS decks without TBC, but then I recalled there were actually less expensive decks that cost a few hundred instead of the $1800 I paid for my AG-1830 SVHS deck back in 1998.

You did adjust the tracking, right? That sounds like it could be your first problem.

Find a post outfit that can do the transfer for you, shouldn't cost much.

Then you would get the TBC and a 4:2:2 transfer to say DVCPRO50 instead of the miserable 4:1:1 (DV25 I presume) through your camcorder.

A post house may also have a deck with better heads that can pick up poor tapes better.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomkins
Re: Capturing VHS/SVHS to Final Cut Pro via other decks for TBC.
on Nov 18, 2010 at 1:40:33 am

Hi - thanks for replying. Yeah I'm adjusting the tracking - unfortunately these are family videos and there is about 200 hours of footage and I have no budget. I'm not wanting to edit them into anything, just to protect them from tape degradation over time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]