FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCProHD Components for QuickTime

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Metz
DVCProHD Components for QuickTime
on Nov 15, 2010 at 9:19:21 pm

Hey Everybody,

I've been pruning my system due to some odd playback issues, and I noticed that I've got a handful of QuickTime components for DVCProHD that have mis-matched names/versions. Running FCS 3, and have installed P2CMS... here are the related components that I'm seeing in my root-Library-QuickTime folder:

DVCPROHDCodec.component v1.5
DVCPROHDMuxer.component v1.3.2
DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component v1.3.2
DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component v1.3.2
DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component v1.3.2
DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component v1.3.2

PanasonicDVCProHDCodec.component v1.0

Is this normal, or do I have cruft that could get tossed into the bit bucket?

Thanks for your time,
Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: DVCProHD Components for QuickTime
on Nov 16, 2010 at 12:23:12 am

I don't think I'd throw these away. They likely have something to do with different versions of DVCPROHD files that Panasonic has changed over time, so in order to work with older versions, you'd need the appropriate component.

I also think it's dangerous to delete any files like this that are installed with Studio... If you're having problems with playback, they very likely are not due to "bloated" software installs.

What's the issue you're really trying to solve?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:49:05 pm

Hi Jerry,

Here's the boring background... bear with me. In addition to editing, I run quite a few corporate meetings which I support through PowerPoint or Keynote (depending on the client), typically with lots of linked video. For the last 2 years, I have been unable to use PowerPoint's 'Presenter Tools' because my linked SD video files would drop frames during playback, and HD video would drop frames even if I was mirroring my displays. This is something that had worked perfectly with my old PowerBook and Office:2004, albeit with SD video only. When I upgraded to an Intel MacBook Pro, PowerPoint started dropping frames like mad when I used Presenter Tools. I searched the web and found nothing. Eventually, I chalked it up to Office:2004 being a buggy, non-Intel-native suite. Office:2008 was due for release shortly thereafter, so I decided to wait and see if it performed any better. When it came out and exhibited the same problem, I got irritated with Microsoft and started using Keynote (which I love, BTW) whenever possible. Unfortunately, clients being clients, I am still required on occasion to use PowerPoint. So I decided, with the release of Office:2011 (and the continuation of the problem), to audit my QuickTime components and plugins. I again searched the interwebs for answers and found nothing. Nobody else is experiencing this problem, so it must be me.

I checked my root Library QuickTime folder, and my System Library QuickTime folder (there's nothing in my User Library QuickTime folder), and I found two components in the root library that were suspicious - an MPEG2 component and a ProRes 422 component. They were suspicious because I have newer versions of both of these - one in the root library (AppleProResCodec) and the other in the System library (MPEG2). So I moved the old ones to the trash and performed a deep system flush (PRAM zap, fsck, permissions repair, cache flush, vm refresh, etc.), which I do regularly - about once per quarter - and then tested PowerPoint again. IT WORKS! Oddly, I don't use ProRes or MPEG2 compression in any of my video output for PPT. Usually, it's H.264, but whatever. It was QuickTime that shot me in the foot, not Microsoft. Which is even more irritating. ;o)

I have finally fixed the problem, and the culprit was outdated QuickTime components. That is why I'm asking about these DVCProHD oddballs. If they're needlessly stepping on each other and hobbling my rig, I want the old cruft gone.

Thanks for reading.

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:56:48 pm

I've no idea why this seems to have fixed you up... I know just enough about it to be dangerous.

But normally, if you're dropping frames it's because the hard drive playing back the file isn't keeping up. That's why media drives are always recommended. Course, an H.264 movie isn't that big a file, but still if this file is on your startup disk, (especially a slow laptop internal) You can have problems dropping frames...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:11:58 pm

I understand what you're saying Jerry, and generally speaking, I agree completely.

The fly in the ointment is that QuickTime and Keynote would both play the same compressed files flawlessly - either from internal or external disk. Believe me when I say to you that I have tested this extensively using different codecs / encoders / settings. I just didn't expect an outdated QuickTime component to jack up only ONE application, ya know?

So, which DVCProHD components do You have installed? Just curious, you see...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]