COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Mulryan
1920 X 1080 ProRes to SD PAL DVD
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:45:22 pm

I have a 4 minute video with the following settings:

1920X1080 24P
ProRes HQ NTSC

I have a client in Europe that wants quicktime files and PAL DVDs both with subtitles.
I am planning to create all the subtitles in Photoshop and import into FCP timeline Planning to shrink the image by 20 percent and slug in subtitles in the black below the image. (have too many graphics that I do not want to obscure with subtitles over live video).
Any suggestions on how to maintain the highest quality. Not planning to use the subtitle function in DVD Studio Pro. Need to maintain a quicktime movie for the web. Also should I use the 16X9 PAL preset or go with a 4:3 PAL preset?
Thank you.

James Mulryan
Sunset Park Media, LLC
Santa Monica, CA
info@jamesmulryan.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: 1920 X 1080 ProRes to SD PAL DVD
on Nov 15, 2010 at 5:29:50 pm

open Quicktime Full HD file in compressor.

Choose DVD preset.
Edit Preset; Turn on framecontrols. Resize filter to best.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 1920 X 1080 ProRes to SD PAL DVD
on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:28:23 pm

You need to convert to PAL before subtitling. You have a choice to do a software frame rate conversion in Compressor or speed up to 25 fps which will shorten the video by 4% and raise audio pitch by that amount (roughly 3/4 semitone).

I would go straight to SD PAL 4:3 letterbox and put subtitles underneath and then make the DVD. Resizing subtitles will look awful. Doing all the resizing in one move (with frame controls on in Compressor and set for BEST) will be better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]