FORUMS: list search recent posts

reimporting a sequence from XDCAM

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaap Verdenius
reimporting a sequence from XDCAM
on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:33:51 am

I have to reedit an existing sequence where the XDCAM footage has been removed from the disk.

Is there a way to reimport XDCAM footage the way you can recapture a sequence with Batch Capture?

(I guess it should be there...)

Jaap

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: reimporting a sequence from XDCAM
on Nov 15, 2010 at 12:41:13 pm

Was it imported with XDCAM Transfer or FCP's built-in Log and Transfer? If the latter then I'd imagine that File > Batch Capture should bring the Log and Transfer window back up as needed.

Or, if you have I/O capture hardware then you can force a regular Log and Capture session by first exporting your sequence as a Batch List and then reimporting and batch recapturing using that Batch List as the source for the capture.

Return to posts index

Jaap Verdenius
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:12:40 pm

It was imported with XDCAM Transfer and a Sony PDW-U1, which is not suitable for SDI/RS422 capture.
I tried Log and Transfer for the reimport, but no success.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:54:51 pm

So can we assume you don't have a deck or camera with suitable I/O and/or a I/O device for your Mac? Bugger.

All is not lost though ... what I think you need right now is a superb bit of software from Videotoolshed's poster child, Bouke Vahl. Check out his FcpReconect tool:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect

With this you should be able to reimport all the footage from your source XDCAM media (using XDCAM Transfer and the U1) ... doesn't matter if you haven't the original logging data, just re-ingest the whole thing ... then point FcpReconnect at the ingested footage and have it analyze that footage and reconnect your edit to that media (based on an xml would be my preference, but it works with exported batch lists or edls too)

Good luck
Andy

Return to posts index

Jaap Verdenius
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:58:34 pm

Thank you Andy, I will have a look at it - but do I understand that neither FCPReconnect nor XDCAM Transfer will let me just reingest the parts of the media that I need to reconstruct the sequence?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:13:46 pm

That s correct, the FCP Reconnect method is just a means to reconnect to clip footage based on embedded reel and time data ... something that FCP can't do by itself.

If you have a specific need to ingest only the used media then its still possible using another of Bouke's tools .. it's called XDcamExtract for FCP:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/40/xdcamextract-for-fcp

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Jaap Verdenius
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:28:49 pm

Great, thanks again Andy.

However, it is sad that such a basic function is not part of XDCAM Transfer itself.

Jaap

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:18:40 pm

Jaap,
For that, you need an Avid...

Do toy with my tools, and don't hesitate to contact me direct if you run into trouble.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]